Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible a/b switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible a/b switch?

i am going to be installing jeff bipes box (thanks jeff, just got it today) to add a 1/8 jack to my TT so i can listen to my ipod

after i ordered the box, a friend at sirius radio got me a deal on new "portable" units they have.

so now i have 2 devices that id like to wire into my 1 input from the bipes mod.

what i would like to do is put a/b switch on the input.
what i would really like is for one of the new inputs (either a or b) to act as the switch.

for example.
1.sirius box plugged into line A. nothing in B. switch is open so it uses side A

2.sirius box plugged into line A. iPod plugged into B. switch is closed so uses side B.

any ideas on how to make such a switch, and if not, just a simple toggle switch for a/b or does someone sell one.

i searched the web and didnt see one, in 1/8, havent looked yet for rca.

any ideas? thanks
Old 09-25-2003, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default you could do this with a simple DPDT switch, keeping the grounds common...

I can make one for ya to plug into the input, 1/8" jack for the ipod RCA's for the Sirrius.

email me.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Let me see if I have this straight...

...you want the source to switch automatically to the headphone input when you plug in your ipod? Kinda like when you plug your headphones into a laptop and the external speakers turn off and the sound just comes through the headphones? If this is what you are looking for then it is possible, but it isn't easy. The only times I have seen this done are in applications like I mentioned above where the signal was being output. Note that the switching between outputs was done in logic within the amplifier chip (I know becuase I designed a cicuit utilizing one of these).

To make a long story short, just use a switch like Jeff suggested, it is the easiest way to accomplish what you are trying to do (not to mention a proven design).
Old 09-25-2003, 06:41 PM

YGM