Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about Alpine HU - tuning - (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about Alpine HU - tuning - (LONG)

Anyone with a 9813 or 9815 or that knows alpines HU's help with be greatly appreciated!!! i must have read the manual for the 9813 about 10 times and am still confused as hell. i guess ill start with what i know (or what i think i know) then what i am curious about. when i go to the sub output it gives me three options to adjust the first is the output volume the second is the wavelength which ranges from 0-4, the greater the number the wider the wave which inturn widens or "draws out" the bass note. The third is the frequiences, im not sure what the range is off the top of my head. i am under the impression that it is the cut-off frequience? but i still don't know what this means. i know it depends of the users preference how to set each setting and to do it by ear but i don't notice a real difference when adjusting the frequience. i will have it so it sounds rite on one song, then i put on another song and its completly off. i have been playing with tuning the system for about 2 weeks. When i am in the Sub output control i can change the signal from normal to reverse, what exactly does this do? it seams that when its on reverse i can turn the gain up and the sub output on the HU up a bit more without having the sub distort. it also seams that it hits the lower deeper longer bass notes better in reverse but dosn't hit the tight bass notes well. I am also pretty confused about the parametic EQ, it dosn't tell me what i am adjusting so i kind of did that by ear but something ain't rite. I have my JL 500/1 tunned to spec for the 10"W7 with the exception of the gain (didnt get a chance to do the whole AC Voltmeter thing yet) but the gain is alittle more than 1/2 way up. i should be able to have the gain almost all the way up i would think b/c it should handle 500W RMS easily. so i am thinking that it is something i don't have set rite on the HU. I am going for SPL and listening to mostly Hip Hop if that helps at all. i hope what i have said makes sence and dosn't sound like rambling jiberish. thanx for reading, once again any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this should make it clearer

<ul><li><a href="http://www.alpine-usa.com/html/support.html#">click on I-personalize</a></li></ul>
Old 10-10-2003, 09:37 PM

how do i know what frequencies to set the crossover at ????
Old 10-10-2003, 10:58 PM

Default another question - speaker "burps" and rattles

i set the Time Correction on the HU it sounds good from the drivers seat now....is there a way to make it sound correct from every seat?

i think i got the bass pretty close but if a turn the gain up a little bit the speaker "burps" as well as has ratteling sound that sounds like its inside, possible the voice coil hitting something? what causes this? the gain is about 1/2 way on the 500/1 and the sub crossover on HU is set at 0 and the sub output is at 10 (ranges from -12 ~ 10) The sub is in the factory JL box so the enclousour is not a problem.

also when i turn on the MX it makes the bass louder but distorts it at the same time. Why is this happening?
Old 10-11-2003, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

around 80 for subs, bout 80-100 for speakers
Old 10-11-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Time Correction ....

... This is used to make all of the sound waves from the speakers reach the same point all at the same time. You may want to have it center between both front seat headrest to give equaly good sound all the way around.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:41 PM

Default Speaker probs ....

... your gain on your amp needs to be set to 38.7 volts using a low frequency (about 40hz) at 3/4 volume and your head unit adjustments need to be flat. Once the gain is set, do not turn it up past that setting. Feel free to turn it down, but turning it up will only give you distortion and make your amp start clipping.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:11 PM

i figured out the time correction...thanx for the reply though
Old 10-12-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Speaker probs ....

i read in the manual to set the gain like that but i havn't gotten the chance to yet. i bought the bass mechanicks CD it has test tones but they are sweaps (40hz-0hz) will these work to tune the amp? after the amp is tunned with the voltmeter to 38.7V can i turn the sub output up on the head unit or leave all bass controls at 0???
Old 10-12-2003, 01:16 PM

thanx man that helped me figure out the time correction!

Quick Reply: question about Alpine HU - tuning - (LONG)