Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundstream amp from Soundhabit or Infinity amp on sale from Crutchfield

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soundstream amp from Soundhabit or Infinity amp on sale from Crutchfield

I have a soundsream amp right now but it is on its last leg so I want a new one and Soundhabit has The Rubicon 555 for $470 and I know its a good amp. Crutchfield is a reliable store and they have Infinity amps on closeout at over half off. A $900 Infinity amp for $400 both are 5-channel amps and have same features but I know nothing about infinity amps and people are complaining about Soundhabit and getting screwed. I know I can't go wrong with Soundstream. I just question Soundhabit. Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2000, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The choice is . . .

Since you have limited your selection to these 2 brands, get the Infinity. This is because Soundstream went out of business a couple of years ago. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong . . . Also, check some recent posts about soundhabit, people haven't been too happy with them lately.
Old 10-03-2000, 02:03 PM

Default I say Infinity, and Soundstream is not out of business.....

they have simply been acquired from the outside. They are still producing products, however. Now, they actually have enough capital to fund R&D and so on, so I expect to see them building more innovative products in the near future. I say buy the Infinity, simply because it is a very powerful amp for a great price at Crutchfield. Power to Dollar ratio is very imporatant, more so than brand names, as long as quality products of the same caliber are being compared!
Old 10-03-2000, 07:48 PM

Default I'd stay away from the 5 ch (255a). I have heard bad reviews. I have

a 54ab (4X50)
and
a Digital 100 (400x1).

I think this will be a much better set up than the 5 ch, and in just the same amount of space. They are sitting on my living room floor so I have no way to know. Soon though, soon.