Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those trying to set up MP3 thru changer inputs in A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those trying to set up MP3 thru changer inputs in A4

I found this thread on another forum and from what it sounds like BlitzSafe can make an adapter to emulate having a CD changer and therefore accept the audio ins from an MP3 player, or anything else for that matter. It won't work for me because I have the changer and want to keep it's functionality, but I know some of you would love to have this. Here's the link

-Nate<ul><li><a href="http://forums.funmp3players.com/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=1435&forum_id=4&Topic_Title=Neo %2B35%2Bin%2BAudi%2BA4%2Bupdate%2521%2521&forum_ti tle=General+%2D+Neo+35">Thread on FunMP3Players.com</a></li></ul>
Old 05-18-2001, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not build a switch to swap between CDC and AUX?
Old 05-18-2001, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Why not build a switch to swap between CDC and AUX?

Some people don't have the CDC, so that info was for them. I did implement a switch, last night actually. I set it up so I can have up to 3 inputs, seems to work quite well

-Nate
Old 05-18-2001, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm glad to hear that the switch works!...

Thanks for all the info, Nate.

If you have the time, I'd be interested
in hearing about how you put the switch
together.

Thanks,

-Jamie
Old 05-18-2001, 01:58 PM

Default Re: I'm glad to hear that the switch works!...

Well it's not so bad since I didn't build the switch myself :-) I've had it laying around for a while and just decided it would be perfect. It's from Radio Shack and it's called a Stereo Audio Source Selector. You can plug in 3 different pairs of RCAs to the back and then one goes out to the input. What I did was pull out the concert radio (1998.5 A4 w/ Bose) and low and behold all of the wires going into the back of the radio are marked by a sticker on top. There's a black heatshrink-type tubing covering most of the exposed wires so I sliced that off carefully with an exacto knife so I had access to enough wire to do some soldering. I unplugged the CD changer plug and found the wires I needed (they're red (+) and black (-)) and cut them, leaving enough room on both sides to solder to another wire. Then I took a set of RCAs and cut them in the middle and ran them both to the glove box (where I'm keeping my switch and my 6 in LCD). It's simple from here on, just a tad bit hectic with the soldering because there's not that much wire to hold on to or strip, so if you screw up enough you'll end up with not enough wire by the harness. Strip all the wires and just solder red to red, black to black (my RCA left channel was a yellow wire actually, but you get the drift) and ground to ground. Plug the RCA soldered to the harness into the switchbox OUT and the other one into one of the switchbox INs. Now electrical tape everything up and you're done. I managed to get good solder joints and it was a really clean job. Now when I select input 1 on the switch, the changer plays, and when I select one of the other inputs, there's dead silence (i haven't put the rest of the stuff in yet, was up late enough as it is). There's no noticeable loss in quality on the CD line and no noise at all on the other inputs, no matter how high I turn the volume. I hope this helps you and anyone else that wants to do this. I have talked to a few other people on this board that have created their own switches with relays and such, so if you have the means then go right ahead. Well I guess that about covers it, sorry for the enormous post. One more thing, for radio removal of the 98.5 Concert (and I'm assuming it would work for a few others too)... I fought with that thing for like a hour, sticking different tools in there (tried cut credit card, pioneer removal tools, etc.) before I finally figured out the trick: you need something kind of pointy but flat. Stick it in the slots but pointing slightly outward. Since it's pointy, you'll be able to get on the outside of the spring clips and press them back in toward the middle, then it slides right out. No $16.95 tool needed. Okay any more questions just ask

-Nate
Old 05-20-2001, 04:45 PM

Update!!!! New link on site Adapter does NOT work.