Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with rear tweeters??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with rear tweeters??

I want to upgrade all of the speakers in my 2001 A4 (non bose). I'm just looking for an improvement in the sound quality and not going for an audiophile quality system. I plan to replace the front mids & tweeters with 5 1/4" components (with homemade adapters), replace the rear deck speakers, and add a small amp under the rear deck to drive the rear speakers. I want to keep the stock HU, and don't want to take up any space in the trunk with a sub.

To that end I bought a set of Infinity reference 6.5" components from e-bay (really cheap) to put in the rear deck. Now I don't know what to do with the tweeters that came with the component set.

Should I:

1) Leave the tweeters out completely and just let the front tweeters provide the highs. If I do this do I just wire the Infinity mids directly to the amp with no crossover? Do I need something to block the high frequency component of the signal?

2) Surface mount the tweeters on the rear doors. Has anyone done this? Where is the best place to stick them? Any photos?

3) Mount the tweeters on the rear deck pointing up at the rear glass.

If I just leave out the tweeters, I'm afraid the stereo will sound bad to rear passengers.

Based on my searches, I understand that putting the tweeters on the rear deck has the disadvantage of disrupting the sound stage because your ears are getting directional high frequency sound from both directions. In reality, how bad is this? I don't really expect a car stereo to have good stereo imaging (That's what my home stereo is for) so I'm wondering if it will really bother me.

I think my preference would be to keep the rear tweeters and put them in the rear doors, if I can figure out a good way to mount them that looks nice.

Thanks for the help,
-David
Old 10-02-2003, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well the question is who matters more...

you or the rear passengers? =)

if you, then skip the tweets. If them, then mount them in the door (similar to how they are mounted on the B6 A4s)