Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are good interconnects and will they really make a dramatic different vs cheap ones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are good interconnects and will they really make a dramatic different vs cheap ones?

I bought power and speaker wire stuff from www.knukonceptz.com before and wondering if their interconnects are pretty good as well. They are not too expensive and twisted copper. Should i get it from there?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Symbilink balanced interconnects, you'll need some Zapco C2K amplifiers though.

for unbalanced interconnects with RCA terminations, Stinger's Expert interconnects are pretty solid.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't go cheap, don't go overboard.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:50 AM

Default Better interconnects will make the music more dynamic- ie cleaner crisper highs, tighter lows.

they will also help to some extent with external noise rejection. Personally i use Audioquest cabling in my car... about $100 a pair for 1.5m (3 sets), and Audioquest TosLink from my head unit to my processor (another hundred or so dollars). Very clean sounding. I've used other stuff before, like Phoenix Gold's top of the line cables, and i like these better. But you have to have the hardware to necessitate higher-end cables.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default knukonceptz are just fine...

...IMHO, for most installs. Some people swear that better interconnects make the music "crisper, brighter, more dynamic, warmer, richer, etc...." Good for them. Often, people pair the big $ interconnects with big $ equipment, so of course it sounds better. To each his/her own.

For a beginner install, making sure the power and signal are run separate, that the signal wire doesn't run by lots of electronics, and that you make good, clean connections, is probably the most important thing.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:40 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I chose good quality interconnects to reduce the possibility of noise.

For the difference in price (about $40 more for a good set of RCAs), it's not a bad idea to just get the good ones up front. If you go the cheap route and realize that you have noise, you'll have to rip out the wiring, chase down the noise, etc. All of that takes time (and money if you're paying someone else). IMO, reduce the potential headache, spend a few more bucks, and go with better interconnects.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, $100 for a 1.5M set of RCA's is *way* over-board.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cheap doesn't exactly mean bad.

My car audio guru that I visit with questions hooked me up with some off brand ones he uses all the time in hidden installs (where people don't care about labels and showing off) They work just as good as higher priced interconnects (sheilded well gold connectors)..look identical to rockford cables actually with a pale blue color and no big *** writing on them, yet they only cost me about 20 bucks for each set of 18 footers.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thats what i mean..the ones on this site doesnt look bad and arnt expensive either.

i already have cheap interconnects that i got for free with some of the stuff i bought. I cant really notice poor sound quality because they are used for subwoofer only, but i know they are cheap stuff so figuring i should at least do a decent upgrade.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:26 PM

Default i second that...that was my thinking

i blew 2 sets of RCA's in my previous car due to cheap RCA's, and it was a PITA to rip them out and run new ones every time. monster cable gold plated for me now and no worries..

Quick Reply: What are good interconnects and will they really make a dramatic different vs cheap ones?