Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtant 1001x Amp Power requirements (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtant 1001x Amp Power requirements (Help!)

I'm planning to install Xtants 1001x 1000W Amp driving 2 of Xtants 10" Subs. (4 ohms, I'll put in parallel to get 2 Ohm) I'll also probably use the 604x 4 channel Amp to drive a set of Front Components and the rear speakers. From Xtants Website, the current the 1001x will draw is listed at 170A (!!) Since the Alternator is only ~130 A (Audi S4), is this going to wear out the alternator? Or will I just never be able to Max this thing out?

The total system current draw for the 1001x & 604x is 270Amps according to the configurator on Xtants website. Not sure how they get to that number, but its more than 2X what my altrnator can supply. Will I damage my cars alternator? Will a couple 1 farad Caps fix the problem? Or is it not really possible to draw this much current for any extended time? Should I have any other concerns (Battery??)
Old 12-13-2001, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Xtant 1001x Amp Power requirements (Help!)

When you start talking serious amp power, and those Xtants certainly qualify, you are going to run into power issues. A cap is designed to store power between draws (usually bass strikes) to reduce the load on the cars electrical system, so yes they will definetely help. In addition a good car audio tech will be able to give you and idea whether or not you will need an upgraded alternator. If $$$ is not a big issue, and by the sounds of your system you want only the best, many of the audio accessory suppliers build high end alternators for these issues. In addition to clear power supply for your car and amps you will get a sweet chrome look too! Look into it.

P.S. Bigger is not always better in car audio, one of the best systems I have ever heard, and I have hear hundreds, was 10 speakers off an Orion am rated at 50watts x2.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Xtant 1001x Amp Power requirements (Help!)

Boy those new A4's are looking *really* sweet!

I know 1000W is way overkill, but if I can get it in there without hurting the car, I'd really like to. I'm probably going away from the 604x for the front speakers because of the cost. I'd like to be able to get 75-100W to the fronts, and there are some other options out there that cost less..

I'd rather not have the alternator upgraded. I was counting on needing a few Caps. Has anyone else installed a 1000W Sub-Amp without having to upgrade the alternator? Can I adjust the gains down to a level that wont screw up the electrical system?
Old 12-13-2001, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a X603 and 2 Xtant X-series 12s.........It plays damn good.

I've run the amp below 2ohms and it's doesn't even think about it. Just plays without question, doesn't overheat. They are quality pieces. You could use an X603 to run everything in your car....but to answer your question, it's going to be hard to supply that much power with the stock alternator. I guess you're going to have to hook it up and see how much it draws. I can see my headlights dim just a little when sharp bass notes hit....but during low notes that hold...it doesn't make them dim??? Wierd. That's when below 2 ohms....at 4 ohms, you can barely tell if it's dimming or not....a cap should fix that problem.

When buying a cap, I suggest monster brand caps....they have a pretty low ESR/ESL rating......remember, when caps are being charged, they are creating a load. You don't want to have a cap with high equivalent series resistance. Also, consider getting an Optima red or yellow battery to replace the factory one. THey have lower ESR rating compared to a OEM battery. Make sure the wires coming from the alt. are in good condititon. If you do these few things I suggested, it will take as much load of the alt. as possible.

Something else I just thought about.....if you keep everything at 4 ohms, it might be that bad on the alt. Remember, those current ratings are MAX current draws (supposed to be anyway), so that doesn't mean it's drawing that much power all the time. Something to think about.