Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

*snicker* So a co-worker gets a new car, and asks ME how he should clean it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *snicker* So a co-worker gets a new car, and asks ME how he should clean it!

He's seen my car(s), and he wants his car looking that way. He used to drive a pickup truck (that probably never got washed), then a Jeep Cherokee (the ugly boxy ones) that also never got washed. His wife drives an E430. I had a chance to see the work she did on her silver car. She used a brillo pad to remove some bug guts and tar...it wasn't pretty. So, yeah, they need a little help in this department, but is he really ready to take my advice? :-P

I sent him off to Target to pick up a synthetic absorber and 2 wool wash mitts. I pointed him to microfibertech.com, where he can buy some polishing cloths, a glass polishing cloth, and a waffle weave drying towel. I'll give him some P21S Car Wash, and Wax, and he should be set for now. I offered to come up to his house on a weekend and help him do all this stuff, so he knows how to do it "right". I know his wife is going to ask me to look at the Mercedes...I'm afraid to. That poor thing sees an automatic car wash regularly.

BTW, he bought a Saab 9-5 Aero, silver.

So what do you do when people ask you a seemingly simple question, which for you could turn into the New Testament?
Old 09-11-2002, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I'm always flattered when ppl ask me for detailing tips after seeing my car
Old 09-11-2002, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

At least it ain't black! :-)
Old 09-11-2002, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hehehe I try to start them out slow

Get them some good stuff for washing. If they want more after that aim that at a quality wax(read: Blitz/P21S If they're really serious then you break out the GEPC and IHG and see if they stick around
Old 09-12-2002, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Give them a teaser, like how to do one area. Then, if they catch the bug, they'll ask for more info

like, how do I clean my wheels, the glass, the interior, etc. You're a brave man helping this one out, and a nice guy too!!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Please tell me you're kidding about the brillo pad?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idea of it is like fingernails on a blackboard, ain't it?
Old 09-12-2002, 01:48 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Nope, not kidding. Looked like she sandpapered the paint in little splotches.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should give her the "Wash Me" demo....

wait till her car is dusty, then write "Wash Me" on her trunk lid. Help her wash the car and show her that "Wash Me" is now etched into her clear coat. Then ask her, "So, what do you think about taking a brillo pad to bugs on your car now?" Then of course, IHG your handiwork away before you leave.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:34 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default :-(((((

A couple weeks ago, my sister in law did that on the trunk of my S4. I tried not to freak out when she started, so I begged her to please stop RIGHT NOW. She didn't really understand that I was really upset about it, and I didn't want to make a scene about it. *sigh* :-(

Quick Reply: *snicker* So a co-worker gets a new car, and asks ME how he should clean it!