Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

2nd Coat of Wax? Good/bad what's the consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Coat of Wax? Good/bad what's the consensus?

I washed/waxed my car last night and have a couple of questions:

I'm looking for a "long durability" of the wax job. Winter's coming, I'll be driving to the mountains nearly every weekend, and most likely will not be washing the car, and even less likely to be waxing it again for at least 4 months.

So will re-waxing it again tonight help at all(it's been parked in my garage), or is it pointless? I have the time tonight to do it, before it's been driven since yesterday's detailing.

Will a 2nd coat of wax do anything? I'm using Meguiar's Gold Class (liquid). Would it be better to switch to a cheaper, albeit harder, wax, like carnauba, Turtle wax, or the like? Remember, right now I'm not looking for top class shine, I just want a good wax that'll bead/repel water for the winter. I'll start over next spring with a dishsoap strip, clay bar and blitz or the like.

Opinions/comments appreciated,
Steveo
Old 10-29-2001, 11:58 AM

Default Always have heard the more the better - adding another layer of protection

I am not sure but I would think that the silicone based "waxes" may work better/last longer than a natural wax. When you do wash, I would put an easy shine like Zaino on the car - doesn't take any time at all. But remember to do the wheels at least every two weeks during the winter and attempt to shine them a bit or they might become pitted or lose the clearcoat.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:01 PM

Default I have herd it can cause hazing and cloudyness

Havn't seen it myself. But I have herd that the lower layers of wax can start to oxidize, and turn hazy.

Because you have 1+ more coats on top of the already oxidizing coat it can be hard to get rid of with out stripping the wax and starting over.

Like I said, never seen it before, so Its all hear-say..
Old 10-29-2001, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've never put in the effort to apply a 2nd coat, but I've never seemed to need it w/ Blitz.

Like you, I wax my cars right around this time of year, and that's it until next spring. The past 2 years I've been using Blitz wax, and come March/April it's still beading. I've said this many times before: that's one durable wax. I'm sure there are others too, but I haven't seen the point of switching from something that works so well for me. Carnauba wax is hard as hell, so a wax with a decent amount of carnauba in it is going to last. I'd suggest staying away from cheaper waxes precisely because they don't have much carnauba and therefore are gonna break down more quickly whether you have one coat or three.

I suppose if one coat of Blitz is good, two coats should be even better, protection-wise. I just don't have the time for that. If I were to do it, I'd be especially careful to buff each coat out really, really well. If you put the effort in for two coats, I imagine the results would look great and wear like iron.

Btw, I live just north of NYC where they salt and sand the roads when it snows, and make my share of trips north for skiiing, etc. Those are the conditions I've encountered for the past 2 years while using Blitz.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:34 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The only thing I would add to Rick's suggestions is to CLEAN the paint well.

I've found that if I apply wax to paint that hasn't been prepped well...a month will go by, and the water stops beading. If I clean all the contaminants off the paint, and then apply a layer of quality wax, I'll get three months out of it.

There are a number of products you can use to clean the paint. My routine starts with a claybar, and then something like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. P21S makes a nice paint cleaner product, and so does zymol.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the suggestions....

Think I'll try it. From what I've gathered, it can't hurt. A little cloudiness is ok, I'm really just looking for maximum paint protection.

Next spring I'll start over and plan on ordering some Blitz and a clay bar...

Thanks again,
Steveo
Old 10-29-2001, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Same story here. Did the fall wax job a few weeks ago.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:14 AM

Default I've been waxing (and waxing) cars since I was 10.

Now I'm 43 (I think). I always clay or de-oxidize the surface as necessary. From there on I have never removed wax before applying another coat. And I wax my cars a minimum of once a month. No haze problems. I don't think any wax lasts long enough to cause that problem (or maybe it's because I'm always trying out some different product) There is one exception. Turtle Wax made some kind of liquid wax about 10 years ago that you just wiped on, like liquid floor wax. Looked great! Until it rained. Then the surface started spotting. It was hell trying to get that $hit off.