Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Advice on painting my wheel hubs please

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Advice on painting my wheel hubs please

Recently bought a 2017 TT that has some rust on the hubs. I had a similar problem 15 years ago with another TT. For that car I just bought some black brush-on Rustoleum caliper paint and after sanding off the surface it worked fine. No rust bleedthrough and no chips. Well today most caliper paints come in cans and taping everything for spraying is a PIA. I was going to buy POR 15 Caliper paint until I read the instructions and using it is an even bigger PIA. Degrease, then etch the metal, then paint a no-rust primer, then then 2 coats of caliper paint.
Anyone ever used POR 15 without all the prep? Any other ideas?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Household vinegar is pretty handy for removing rust. Leave it to soak overnight. And a wire brush. I usually use simple green afterward to dilute the vinegar I guess. And if I’m not priming it real fast I may end up fresh water then dry with a heat gun or here in Houston direct sunlight. Saves it from corroding again.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

So are you recommending just getting rid of the rust and not paint (which I'm still considering as an option) or it's just your recommended step before priming and painting? I don't have a lift nor jackstands. Last time I did this I just did one wheel at a time. Took me about 2 hours. But if I am going to prep, primer, and paint 2 coats it will take all day to do one wheel since I have to dry between each task.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ohhh you’re doing this while the hub is on the car? Nah I was thinking you had them off and could throw them in a tub of vinegar, you would’ve had to seal off the bearing though. I have a manifold I did a whole back I’ll upload a picture of it tomorrow and you’ll get the general idea of how much rust is removed from cast with cheap vinegar. I couldn’t tell you how to do it while there’s rust on it. Never done that before. I have used por 15, but I didn’t have any rust. I thought you could spray it directly on to rust though. Not sure about it’s temps though. Might need to be a little higher temperature on a hub. Here a picture of my engine I painted a while back. Came out not too bad.