Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Air Dryer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Air Dryer

Can anyone recommend a decent quality resonably priced hand air blower to dry a washed car. Corded is fine.

I checked out the Chemical Guys one. Wasn’t that impressed and man it was loud...

Last edited by audibonkers; 07-08-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

There's a product called the Air Wand. Have you looked at that?

I've got a gas powered and an electric leaf blower. I use them once in a while, but not often. The newest drying towels are so good it's hard for me to drag out power equipment.
The following users liked this post:
audibonkers (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks I'll take a look.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sun Joe makes some good leaf blowers that are also well regarded in the detailing community. I have a Metro Blaster (8hp). Its pricey, but works fantastically.

Couple comments on air drying in general.

1) For air drying (blowing) to work best you need a quality wax/sealant/coating on the car. Blowing off beading water is a lot easier than sheeting water.

2) I don't consider air drying a time-saver. I could probably dry my car faster with a quality microfiber towel. My reason for blowing the water off is to minimize the touch on my paint and prevent swirl marks.

3) If you are working in an environment that is dirty or dusty think about a blower with a filter. Otherwise you are simply blowing dirty air (at very high speed) on your paint.

Best of luck. Let us know what you do and how it worked out
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Sun Joe makes some good leaf blowers that are also well regarded in the detailing community. I have a Metro Blaster (8hp). Its pricey, but works fantastically.

Couple comments on air drying in general.

1) For air drying (blowing) to work best you need a quality wax/sealant/coating on the car. Blowing off beading water is a lot easier than sheeting water.

2) I don't consider air drying a time-saver. I could probably dry my car faster with a quality microfiber towel. My reason for blowing the water off is to minimize the touch on my paint and prevent swirl marks.

3) If you are working in an environment that is dirty or dusty think about a blower with a filter. Otherwise you are simply blowing dirty air (at very high speed) on your paint.

Best of luck. Let us know what you do and how it worked out
Agree!

Also, while agreeing with reason #2 a blower can and will save time while drying your wheels. I would add that no matter how well you towel dry your car, there will always be some water trapped around. mirrors, gas tank cap, door handles, grill and trim that will blow out on your car as soon as you drive your car. Air dryers take care of that "issue."

Last edited by bob m; 07-11-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're 100% about wheels and the cracks. The Air dryers do make easy work on those areas
Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Master Blaster has been an amazing tool over the six or seven years I have owned it. Nothing beats it.