Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Any advantage to expensive waxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advantage to expensive waxes

I know Zymol is probably the msot known of these waxes, but do they really have a better effect then other cheaper waxes. I am specifically thinking on Nogaro Blue, but any insight on any color cars would be great (and also benificial to others who are wondering the same thing).
Old 08-13-2003, 09:01 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yes...however you can get away with spending less...

Zymol and Pinnacle are often raved about. I've used Pinnacle myself, and it's quite nice. Both waxes contain oils that will make your car look outstanding. You can spend less and get P21S wax. The results are equally impressive in my book, only P21S doesn't smell nearly as nice as the other two! P21S runs about $25 for a 6 oz tin.

If you still want to spend less, you can try One Grand Blitz wax (www.carcareonline.com). That runs about $18 for a 10 oz tin. Blitz probably offers the best bang for the buck in terms of results. Personally, I prefer P21S a little more, but many people love Blitz (for good reason).
Old 08-13-2003, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used to use Meguires products until I started to use KLASSE....HUGE difference.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Heres the recent detail Job I did to a Denim Blue...close enough to a Nogaro------>

Click on this link...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/norcal/msgs/5428.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/norcal/msgs/5428.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-13-2003, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 60K on the car so....

I am not afraid to throw around the extra bucks to make it look the best. If someone said get the 800 dollar thing of Zymol it will look the best with that then fine.... I want to protect my investment the best I can. Thanks guys for the initial responses.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:47 AM

Default Side by side..

Its not like you will see a line of where of a cheap wax was used and an expensive one was used. The effect is subtle and really visible only over the whole car. Generally the more expensive waxes tend to last shorter, but don't stain your trim and are easier to apply.
I would stay away from Zymol however, most people think it is way overpriced. Pinnacle Souveran is equivalent to $600 Zymol in most people's eyes on Autopia.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:35 AM

Default If you really want to protect your car..

Put a quater inch thick layer of something like Zaino or Klasse SG on your car, and never take it off. That way there is no chance of anything scratching your paint since the zaino would act as a sacrificial barrier..

hehe more seriously the more expensive Zymol waxes are made for strictly appearance. Plan on rewaxing weekly if not more often for a daily driver.

Buy Klasse AIO, SG, and Souveran. Layer on SG until its 5 coats thick, and then layer on souveran. Rewax with souveran every 2 -3 weeks. That should protect your car and make it look its best.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default forget the site, but an acura nsx site had a side by side test,

included zaino, the really expensive 'custom made' zymol i believe, meguiars and another. No Klasse unfortunately, as I would've liked to see that.

This guy just did it on a hood of an NSX. He went in with a predisposed preference to the Zymol.. REsults?

Zaino. Zymol came in like 3rd. This was based on appearance and protection (based on feel) after 30 days.

So no, more $$ does not always equal better results. For the record, i vote Klasse. Not that expensive either, and since you use very little, one bottle can last many years.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:21 PM

Default zymol was on close-out sale on Amazon yesterday

not the real deal, the zyrtle wax mass-market brew that Consumer Reports picked as best coupla years ago.

AFAIK, most of the quality name-brand products are in the same price range, so it comes down to personal preference. Blitz, Meguiars, P21S, zymol, WTF they all protect and shine your car and that's the point.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Rule #1...the best results have very little to do with how much money you spent...

The best results come from taking the time to prepare the paint BEFORE you wax. That means removing swirl marks and oxidation, cleaning any grime off the paint, and feeding the paint with oils and what not to make it look it's best. The final step is waxing to protect the finish. As I've already implied, some waxes will make the car appear better than others, however alsey is right...the effect is subtle. 90% of your results will come from preparing your paint, and 10% (if that) from the actual wax.

Quick Reply: Any advantage to expensive waxes