Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Anyone else apply different detailing standards to different cars they own?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else apply different detailing standards to different cars they own?

This is like going to confession;-)

For three years, I've slavishly gone through full details using all 3M products on my '01 TT and a '98 Cabriolet that my wife and I both drive.

The problem is our kid hauling Soccermobile - a Chrysler Pacifica. The interior gets trashed within hours of getting attention and it takes me an entire day to go through wash, clay, polish, wax given the car's enormous surface area.

Anyone else cheat one of their cars? My heart's just not in caring for the big pig anymore.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah...my poor wife's car gets no love.

Zaino products exclusively for the Audi....whatever is on sale for the Honda. In all honesty, after I'm through detailing my car, I'm too tired to spend a lot of time on my wife's car short of a wash and dry.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Two is hard enough. Three is practically impossible. You're forgiven.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, my '79 LUV is painted with Krylon, so no...it doesn't get the same TLC as the Audis.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Just as guilty, I am !!

for shame Booooo Hooooo !!

***** it
Old 06-01-2005, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't sweat it - its supposed to be fun...

I lavish care on my cars as well - but it sure isn't equally distributed. Our family hauler and research vehicles are still cared for better than most American vehicles and are spoiled with mechanical attention - but they don't receive the care that the current prime car gets. But even with the prime car, attention to the exterior varies with the season. You can do damage trying to clean a car in the winter if you are not careful.

These objects are, after all is said and done, just cars... not family members, not trusted friends, not a discerned vocation that serves others, not your pets - your car is a technical expression of human creativity and engineering talent that will ultimately end up in a crusher - no matter how much carnuba you massaged into its flanks. Caring for your car the way we do will NEVER pay you back at resale time - unless you calculate your value at a 2-to-3 bucks an hour.

We do this because it is fun and we take some measure of pride in our cars - when you start feeling guilty about it - the line has been crossed... step back, then get in the car, enjoy the capacity that these Audi's have and remember the primary use of cars in the first place is to travel!

Best wishes
Eric
Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try to keep up with 4 cars! :-(

They are all detailed to the hilt but with different products. Two are Zainoed cars...low maintainence, always look great. Two are carnauba cars. These are sort of test cars which get the wax du-jour for tryouts, etc.

'05 S4 (silver/silver)
'04 Mini Cooper S (white/black)
'96 Porsche Carrera 4S (silver-blue/grey)
'72 BMW 2002tii (red/black)
Old 06-01-2005, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I detail my parents cars maybe once a year

but I don't do the clay bar, polish or waste my zaino on them lol...

I use NXT on mom's BMW, some cheapo synthetic (nufinish or finish2000 or some crap) on dad's truck, and blackfire on the mustang.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:50 AM

we all do it; I treat all of my ex-wives different
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I feel better now, thanks! ;-)

Quick Reply: Anyone else apply different detailing standards to different cars they own?