Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Ask Detailer's Domain

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you don't have an imperfections maybe you can start with

1. wash
2. clay
3. light polish
4. sealant or wax

Next would be equipment would you plan on using an orbital or would you be doing this all by hand?

Did you need both interior and exterior products?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a porter cable. Which polishes, sealants, and waxes do you think would work best on black? Just interested in the exterior for now. Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor

for a new q5 with no issues on the paint.

I would say go with PO85RD with a uber green or uber blue pad.

If you have some light swirls or surface scratches Menzerna PO106FA.

Now if you want to go with 2 steps go with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna PO85RD.

For a sealant or wax
Collinite Insulator Wax
Einszett Glanz
Optimum Poli-seal
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In preparation to winter,i highly get my car ready and maintain.
Exterior of the car:

1.Windshield wipers. Check windshield wipers blades and replace the blade if it streaks or if over 1 year old.Consider using winter blades for tough ice buildups.
2.Tires. Check tires for wearing,balding or alignment issues. Check tire pressure at least once a month.Improperly inflated tires can reduce gripping when you need it the most.
3.Lights. Check to make sure all lights are in working condition.With lower visibility in the winter,you want to make sure other drivers can see you.
4.Brake pads and shoes. Replace worn pads and have your brakes professionally inspected ensures immediate response in icy or slippery situations.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alex
Hey Phil,

Which of your Leather Care products would you recommend to refresh black leather on the driver seat in a one-year-old car? Not really dirty but used to be sort of mat and now it is getting sort of glossy.

Thanks
I'd like to know this also. Waiting on my new S5 with Silk Black Leather/Alcantera combo. What would you suggest for a Cleaner and Conditioner for the Leather, and Protectant for the Alcantera?

I want to keep the smoot matte factory look of the leather, not really into the shiny gloss thing.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Phil,
So I was initially going to go with the 2 Bucket Method for our brand new cars. Then started reading about the Foam Gun method and I have several questions:

With the Foam Gun, would I still need to wash the car down with a mitt? (I'll be using my pressure washer with the foam gun)

I was going to use the P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo with the 2 Bucket Method. Which foam washes are safe for waxed cars?

any other pros and cons?

This was how I was envisioning maintaining my car that I drive daily:
Upon Delivery do a full detail
Dust down daily and hit with UQD
Every 2 weeks do a wash

Thanks again Phil
Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jbnery6465
I'd like to know this also. Waiting on my new S5 with Silk Black Leather/Alcantera combo. What would you suggest for a Cleaner and Conditioner for the Leather, and Protectant for the Alcantera?

I want to keep the smoot matte factory look of the leather, not really into the shiny gloss thing.

Thanks
Go with either

Einszett Leathercare - for a 1 step cleaner conditioner

or you can do

Leather Master Soft Cleaner
followed by Leather Master Vital conditioner
Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Dumb move on my part

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
Let me know what's on your mind, how to apply something, tech questions on detailing? I will try to answer it the best I can also welcome others to answer as well.
I went to visit some cousins in upstate New York this weekend. I parked my car overnight across the street from their house. Little did I know, but I was parked under some telephone wires. Apparently, overnight, some birds chose that spot to rest and relieve themselves.

The next day, when I came outside to go home, I noticed my car was covered in bird $hit. Not wanting to drive home with my car looking like that, I grabbed the only cleaning materials I had in my trunk -- paper towels and Windex. I was not worried about removing wax; I could just rewax when I got home.

Well, the bird droppings required a little more elbow grease than I thought they would, and I realized I would have to use a sponge and some hot water when I got home. I used this method when I got home, but discovered that my earlier removal attempts had left some nasty scratch marks on my roof.

So I used some Mequire's Swirl Remover on the affected area. Unfortunately, it did not work and the scratches remain. And I think having a dark car makes it look worse.

After kicking myself for about a half an hour, I decided to ask on this forum if there was anything stronger I could use to remove the scratches ... without making matters worse.

And yes, I've learned my lesson.

Last edited by A4Driver; 11-29-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I went to visit some cousins in upstate New York this weekend. I parked my car overnight across the street from their house. Little did I know, but I was parked under some telephone wires. Apparently, overnight, some birds chose that spot to rest and relieve themselves.

The next day, when I came outside to go home, I noticed my car was covered in bird $hit. Not wanting to drive home with my car looking like that, I grabbed the only cleaning materials I had in my trunk -- paper towels and Windex. I was not worried about removing wax; I could just rewax when I got home.

Well, the bird droppings required a little more elbow grease than I thought they would, and I realized I would have to use a sponge and some hot water when I got home. I used this method when I got home, but discovered that my earlier removal attempts had left some nasty scratch marks on my roof.

So I used some Mequire's Swirl Remover on the affected area. Unfortunately, it did not work and the scratches remain. And I think having a dark car makes it look worse.

After kicking myself for about a half an hour, I decided to ask on this forum if there was anything stronger I could used to remove the scratches ... without making matters worse.

And yes, I've learned my lesson.
can you post a picture?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I'll try. Gimme a couple of minutes.

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
can you post a picture?
I gotta fire up Photoshop.

Quick Reply: Ask Detailer's Domain