Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Buffing out a scratch through to the metal question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing out a scratch through to the metal question....

What are the steps and products to use to help "hide" these scratches.

We have a leased Jeep Liberty getting turned back in (thank god) and I have to try and buff out some scratches.

Should I use a polishing compound then wax?

What type of buffer/speed do I need to have?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Haven't done this...

but I would add color into the scratch. Touch up paint is fine, but find the sharpest point you can and apply the absolute least amount of paint you can on each layer. Put a couple layers allowing adequate dry time between each layer. When you have enough color then apply a spray clearcoat product, masking the surrounding area. Again, multiple thin layers. When that is complete, wet sand to level with surrounding paint, and finally, compound/polish until it's scratch free.

If it's not through the paint, you may be able to polish out with compound/fine polish, but once you're through paint, hiding it is near impossible. Gotta repaint or go through a process similar to the above.

There are some pigment dyed waxes on the market that may also have some effect. Not sure if it will be enough to let those scratches go completely unnoticed, and I've never used them.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Thanks for the info, looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me.

The scratches are from someone putting a laundry basket on the hood and pulling it off. So they seem to be pretty deep. At least deep enough that a finger nail catches it.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Default i just went through this process...

from my experience, lease inspectors are really looking for big things. they do not spend too long examining the paint. but if there is a large scrape, they will see it. the key for me was making sure that a scratch didn't catch the eye. i'm not sure how deep your marks are, but i used a compound and followed up with a polish. i could still see the scratch, but i dulled up the edges so that it was not noticeable at a glance. i didn't even bother to wax since i was handing in the car the next day. i'd try not to spray it as you could cause more harm than good.