Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Car Wash Using Armour on Tires..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wash Using Armour on Tires..

On the sides of course....is this safe....or can I expect cracking?
Old 11-05-2001, 09:12 AM

Only tires that I've seen cracked were about 20 years old!
Old 11-05-2001, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wouldn't worry about cracking......

I've heard of dashboards cracking after long-term use of Armour-All (altho I've never understood why), but I wouldn't worry about the same thing happening with tires because you're talking a completely different kind of material. Tires already have a built-in "anticracking" agent, as described in this article at properautocare.com:

"....tire manufacturers add a wax compound to their formulas. Tires flex when they are in motion, causing the wax molecules to migrate to the surface. This forms a protective barrier between the air (ozone and oxygen) and the tire polymer. In the tire trade this is called "blooming". When tires are parked for extended periods, blooming does not occur and ozone starts attacking the polymer. With UV light and ozone working in concert, the degradation is accelerated, resulting in drying, discoloration and cracking."

So as long as the car is being driven, I wouldn't worry about Armour-All making the tires crack, because they're designed not to. Dashboards are a different animal. Anyone know why Armour-All (allegedly) causes dashboards to crack? Is it because it shrinks or expands or something?
Old 11-05-2001, 04:55 PM

Default Please don't mention Armour anything :)

These products suck...They are bad for your dash, tires, paint, everything...They don't make any quality products. I would even use any of them to clean my bicycle.

Just my opinion and two cents. I hope I didn't open a can of worms.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try Harly TireNu................

Good product for tires with being glossy<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/mfgr_frame.html">http://www.carcareonline.com/mfgr_frame.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-07-2001, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's the coolest sig I've ever seen. Is the animation really of your car?
Old 11-07-2001, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No car wash. No Armour All crapola. Wouldn't do either if you want to keep

your car looking great for more than a couple of years.

-st
Old 11-07-2001, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default But what exactly will Armour All do to harm tires? Turn em brown, or worse, or what?

Many people say not to use Armour All products, but they rarely say why. And while I've heard that Armour All can, over time, cause a dash to crack, I don't know why that is either. I don't use those products; I'm just interested to know why they're supposedly downright bad for your car.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fair enough, here's the deal from my personal experience.

The interior stuff is shiny and greasy, even after drying. I don't like unaturally shiny services etc. so that's why I say stay away from that.

The exterior stuff is just the oposite. I tried their tire stuff once and it didn't shine the tires at all. Actually, just about ALL (YES ALL) tire dressings are not good for the rubber. Good news is that the tread will be long gone before the sidewalls are permanently damaged. All high performance based wheels say not to put any silicone based products on them. Oh well, I use Meguiar's and that looks good and I'm sure isn't too harsh. For wheel cleaners, I would never use Armour all - too harsh. But for that matter I never use any cleaning products for my wheels now except regular car wash.

That's my personal opinion, but a lot of people seem to have the same opinion : )

-st
Old 11-07-2001, 04:54 PM

Default Thanks!

This is a very old sig and I'm working on a fall version of it right now. This isn't my car but I've taken the right pictures to update it...just being lazy

Quick Reply: Car Wash Using Armour on Tires..