Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Care for a car that stays outside

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care for a car that stays outside

I was hoping for a little advice for taking care of my car that is always parked outside. I can't keep my car parked in a garage, so its outside day and night. Overnight it always gets covered in dew, and the car gets pretty dusty because there are a LOT of trees in the area. Plus, more dust/dirt in the air gets stuck to it when it becomes wet with dew.

My car is a one year old white A3, and it has some light swirling that came with the car when I bought it used. The swirls aren't too bad though because the car is white, and I only see them occasionally under very bright lighting conditions. I also get what looks like brown specs of oxidation that I get off with the clay bar. They don't come off with just washing.

Right now I've just been washing weekly or more, claybarring a little bit every few washes, and using meguiars nxt wax. The wax doesn't seem to last very long with my current routine.

So I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for how I should be changing my routine so I can protect the car and keep it looking nice a long time. All of the washing and barring seems like it would take its toll on the finish eventually. I've thought about getting down to business and buffing out all the swirls, but at this point it seems like it would be a waste of time and money if I won't be able to make the condition last.
Would you recommend using the Klasse AIO and SG? Will I get a little bit more robust protection with this? Is there something better that I could use that might not have as much pop, but will be more robust and protective? The white finish doesn't need to be perfection since it won't look incredibly different no matter what I do anyway.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default NXT is your first mistake. I tested that stuff and its a joke. Definitely try some KLASSE or FMJ. A

couple of threads down talks about Zaino and it's durability so you can look into that as well. I've heard it's great. If you're car is parked outside I'd avoid using carnauba wax as a base because it wears out fast. Klasse, FMJ and Zaino will last much longer. If you wash weekly and keep up the quick detailing any of those products should last quite a while as far as protection goes. Consider getting a random orbital for detailing as well. Read up a little here<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext51.shtml">Troy's guide to car care nirvana</a></li></ul>
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep, NXT is junk. Meg's High Tech Yellow is much better....

a good wash, clay, &amp; synthetic like AIO will last you quite a while. AIO is very easy to use, &amp; SG will help.

1Z's Metallic Polish/Wax does a great job...add their Glanz wax and it lasts several months outside.

I'm trying to narrow down my products. Klasse &amp; 1Z work very well for outside cars. 1Z especially, has ease of application.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: NXT is your first mistake. I tested that stuff and its a joke. Definitely try some KLASSE or FMJ

Thanks for the advice. I'll give Klasse a shot...
Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Klasse AIO (red bottle) is also easy to use. it provides great protection and has

great cleaner properties. not as good as the old formula, but the new California approved formula still does a great job. Make sure you use the least ammount you can. You should barely see if going on.<ul><li><a href="http://www.detailersparadise.com/View.asp?Id=69642003605242-1225212614053">Klasse AIO from our Forum Sponsor</a></li></ul>