Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Detailing Noob here guys, i STFA and FAQ and am just looking for a "Beginners" detailing agenda

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Noob here guys, i STFA and FAQ and am just looking for a "Beginners" detailing agenda

Tomorrow will be the first time i get the car running in a month....

So after it is running i intend to take good care of her, however, i dont have the money right now to be spending on lots of products

so what do you think the absolute basic things i should buy?

As you can see, i have a black car so many swirl marks are easily visible

I have:
-Rubbing compound
-sheep(fur)pad
-7 or 8" buffer (one speed)
-Turtle cleaner wax
-Some towels and microfibers as well
-Claybar and shine (but i believe the claybar has been dropped so its useless) can i still use the showcar shine it comes w/ ?

The car has been sitting so it probably has alotta **** on it but i am askin you guys to suggest just the basics/ medium strength cleaners etc. and i dont wanna spend more than bucks, prbably cause thats all i have right now, haha

Also , do you reccomend against taking off the wax w/ the machine?

Thank youuuuuuu !
Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For some good background reading...

...check out the "how to make your car shine" link in my signature. I reference some very good sites for discussion of detailing.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:26 PM

TY
Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You can start by throwing away the stuff you have...

Rubbing compound...good bye!
inexpensive polisher with lambwool...in the trash
Turtle wax...never!
Towels and microfiber - imho, if it's not good microfiber, it shouldn't touch your paint. Clean soft cotton towels are fine...low quality towels go in the trash.
Dropped clayber - no good.

Without a good polisher, your hopes of removing the scratches and swirls involve a ton of pain, or it's just not going to happen. So, instead of removing them, lets just try to clean it up.

Wash car
Clay car
3M Imperial Hand Glaze (cleans paint surface and fills scratches temporarily)
Some kind of carnauba paste wax (without cleaners). Meguiers usually sells a good paste wax at pep boys.

Lots of good cotton towels that have been washed and dried without fabric softener.

That'll give you the best results with locally available products.

But honestly, if you have to spend money, why not spend it on stuff you'll end up using long term?? Unfortunately that means spending a lot more money though. If you switch to quality polishes, you'll need the porter cable polisher and pads. So that's a $200 expense. If you switch to synthetic sealants, you'll need to stop using the IHG and switch to something else that the sealant will play nice with. That'll cost you $40. Try detailersparadise.com. They have Prima Amigo and Epic, which is probably a good start. Use those after the clay job and see how you like it. If you want a quick detailer, get Slick too.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Default 2nd the throwing away of crap..... my .02

In your situation would be to wash, clay and use Klasse AIO. (2 passes)

Forget the swirls without a machine. Your goal is to hide them as best as possible and protect the paint to avoid further contaminants. Then get it cleaned up right when the budget allows.

Klasse AIO is a cleaner and protection in one product and its easy to use.

Nick at detailersparadise.com has it.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to to Phil's and pick up the kit he has on sale right now...it's $100 and seems to be the

best all in one value I can think of right now