Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Few of you had Oettinger RE's around here IIRC...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few of you had Oettinger RE's around here IIRC...

Did you ever notice the polish lips being soft in regards to getting damaged from road debris?

It appears that after only 3 weeks I've already got 1 lip with 3 very short scratch marks and another with an abrasion. I'm leaving both marks cause to be road paving and gravel bits that all over by my work. The scratches aren't very noticeable but the abrasion flat out sucks.

I can't tell for sure if they are damaged or it's just stuck on stuff. When I get my P21S TAW I'll know for sure. I'll try that and a bit of clay bar.

If they are damaged, I'll jsut deal with it. Don't think there's really anything I cna do aside from pay $100 to have them professional fixed, which just isn't worth it at this point.
Old 09-28-2002, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have them and have the same problem. Try rubbing the marks with P21S multisurface restorer

It will take the black out of the marks. You can probably sand these with sandpaper if you are careful, but I doubt if you will get it back to the polished look.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did the multisurface restorer do any other kinds of changes to the finish?

Or did it just strickly get the black out (which would be great).

Did you cut the P21S with anything? Like 3M IHG?
Old 09-28-2002, 01:32 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, it sucks, but you'll have to deal with that.

They are soft, and they do nick easily. I made a habit of avoiding construction/repaving zones. If I had absolutely no choice, then I drove VERY slowly. I managed to get by one season with marginal nicks, but there was one good 1/2" gash in one of the wheels (it wasn't curbage, it was from road debris hitting the wheel). You'll have to live with that, and be careful where you drive.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No reason you couldnt get the lips fixed right?

Nothing I'd do now obviously, but maybe in two or three years from now, if I still have them, dropping the $400-600 bucks people normally pay for rim repair.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:57 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Chances are they would refinish the entire wheel.

They would need to strip the finish off the entire wheel, repair any deep nicks in the lip, repaint the centers, remachine the lip, and clearcoat. All of that is covered under most wheel repair prices, however you might want to ask the shop specifically about the machined lip. If they don't have a lathe or similar machine to produce that finish, you may need to find another shop.

But to answer your question...it's mostly a matter of practicality, but yes you should have no problems getting the wheels refinished.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It is mildly abrasive, not hard enough to take out the scratches

If you want to try something yourself, I would suggest using sandpaper(start coarse and end up fine) to even out the surface, then use the multipurpose stuff to polish.

I do not cut it at all when I use it. It works on a variety of surfaces (hence the name) including painted surfaces, chrome, and the wheels.