Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Help!! My car is 4 months old, but has severe hard-water stains...washing does nothing (more)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! My car is 4 months old, but has severe hard-water stains...washing does nothing (more)

and I don't want to let it eat at my paint. What do you guys recommend? I heard that claybarring is a good solution, but I've also heard its not good to claybar your car too early. If anyone has suggestions, pls help.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One Grand Special Touch Polish will take care of it. Maybe vinegar.

If you're desperate and don't want to wait, you can try vinegar. Whether vinegar will work mostly depends on what minerals are in your water. It takes a little while to dissolve the spots, so ideally you'd soak paper towels with it and lay them on the affected surface. If it's your whole car, this may be unrealistic.

I've had very good success with Special Touch getting off all kinds of stubborn spots. I really recommend it. Reduces/eliminates many scratches too.<ul><li><a href="http://onegrand.com/ogpprodspecialtouch.html">Special Touch</a></li></ul>
Old 06-08-2002, 07:29 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Claybar won't deal with hard water spots well. As Rick suggested, your

car needs a vinegar bath (just spray the panels with vinegar, and keep them moist for 15 minutes, then wash with car soap and water). Vinegar is VERY good at removing hard water stains. Try it on some household glassware, and you'll be amazed at what the vinegar will do in 15 minutes. Glasses will turn crystal clear!

I've never tried the one grand special touch that Rick mentions, but he had very good results using it on etchings from bird crap. This is stuff that the vinegar won't do anything with. It's very possible that the special touch will do a better job for you, and if you can wax directly after it, it might save you an extra step. With the vinegar route, you'll need to glaze/polish, then follow with wax, which is in effect, 3 steps.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:22 AM

Default What to do if Rick's suggestion does not...

Hello,

Stupid water stains.

If Rick's suggestions do not help, then I would contact a professional detailer. Have them give you a free estimate on removing the water spots. Doesn't hurt to have someone in the business look at your car and tell you what needs to be done -- for free!

Yes, a professional detailer using a buffer may have to use more aggressive products if they are severe water spots. Make sure you check the detailer out - references, insurance, any claims, etc.

Any questions, please email me or call 1-800-964-8711.

Sincerely,
Melissa
http://www.autodetail.com<ul><li><a href="http://www.autodetail.com">Autodetail.com</a></li></ul>