Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How to clean detailing cloths & sponges

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean detailing cloths & sponges

Newbie question...

I've got several microfiber clothes and regular cloth I used for leather and trim cleaning and protectants. One microfiber used on the glass. And a few pads use to clean or apply stuff.

How do you wash this stuff? Can I toss it all in the washing machine with something like Woolite?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally hand-wash my cleaning/detailing cloths using some laundry detergent and hang them dry. I do not dump soiled and chemical laden cleaning/detailing cloths in my washing machine for fear that some of that chemical might contaminate some of our clothing. I know a friend who uses the same washing machine to wash cleaning cloths and other stuff. His laundry will sometimes smell like car wax or leather conditioner.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

plat27265 does it the right way, but I'm not that patient. I have 3 sets of towels and each treated differently, but they are all machine washed separately with microfiber soap

Paint surface only microfiber towels. These are the newest and cleanest. They only touch the top surfaces of the paint to dry after wash. They are simply dragged one time gently across the surface to dry it. Only touch hood, roof, trunk and top 3/4 of the sides

Lower side panels and bumper towels. These are last seasons paint surface only towels. The touch the lower areas of the paint that have more dirt and containments.

Crevice and doorsills towels. Only touch the more dirty areas.

I buy a new set of Paint surface towels each season and demote the towels to lesser duties sequentially.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

ChicagoA6 - good idea to cycle them.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Rambling, if you have really dirty towels you're dealing with, look for one of the micro fiber specific soaps. They do have some benefit. I've got Micro-Restore Detergent and 3D's Towel Wash. Both are good products.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RamblingMan
Newbie question...

I've got several microfiber clothes and regular cloth I used for leather and trim cleaning and protectants. One microfiber used on the glass. And a few pads use to clean or apply stuff.

How do you wash this stuff? Can I toss it all in the washing machine with something like Woolite?
I usually purchase different color clothes so I can distinguish which one is for which application (body, tires, door sills, etc). I always have a separate bucket with the microfiber cleaner in it to let them soak before they get washed. Makes it easier to get out any dirt or debris before finally washing them.