Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

I was going to get a P21s kit and clay magic bar to use for detailing over the holidays. Couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was going to get a P21s kit and clay magic bar to use for detailing over the holidays. Couple ?'s

To start off, with these products, what is the best order?

Wash - Dish Soap washing
Claybar
Wash - what kind of wash should be used here? Just the shampoo that comes in the p21s kit?
Cleanser
Wax

Now, do I even need the claybar to use with this kit? My car is 4 years old and has never had anything done to it other than waxing it here and there. Have not used any real claybar or gooding polishing. It still really shines but could use some pampering. Is what I plan on doing sound, or do I need less/more?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You will be amazed...

What a difference using the claybar will make to the finish. It will FEEL much more smooth and slick as it pulls out/ shears off embedded debris that washing will not remove. DO IT!

There are a lot of different procedures you can follow for the wax process.

1. Wash the car prior to claying to remove major dirt. This doesn't have to be a Dawn wash at this point. If doing a whole car I would wash the car, leave it wet and clay using a quality auto shampoo as a lube. (better and cheaper than using QD as a lube if you are doing the whole car.)This can all be done at the same time.

2. Washing with Dawn can be done at any point to remove the old wax. (claying the car has nothing to do with Dawn, is what I am trying to say!)

3. After you clay is when you do the polishing.

4. It is not necessary to wash the car again after you polish. It doesn't hurt but is pretty much an unecessary step. The exception would be if the polish you are using has any residual oils that would inhibit bonding of a polymer sealant. This is almost never an issue with carnauba. (It sounds like you have P21S.)

5. wax
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay

Clay is to remove dirt, and other contimants. Paint cleaners remove small contaimants. Clay is very very important. It gets the stuff you don't remove when washing.
You don't have to wash after claying. Are using a detailers spray? If not then wash car and rinse. Then, use dish soap and water and to lubricate when using the clay.
Polishing gives you better shine before sealing or waxing. It flatens your paint and removes swirls, dull paint and other paint imperfections that stops your paint from being shinny. I like that package alot. I'm a Sonus guy, but love there carnuba wax.