Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Is ice bad for the paint..? and...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is ice bad for the paint..? and...

its getting quite cold here in scotland now and im a bit worried about all the ice on my car! its all fully waxed up and looking great but that ice is tearing at my soul! - so is it bad for the paint even if its waxed? its about -5 celsius here at the moment but its also really humid in the air so tons of water/ice collects on the car.

ALSO! anyone heard of teflon coating for paint? a local garage does it here and they give you a 5year guarantee that you wont need to wax your car again - and that the showroom shine will remain for the whole 5 years -with water beading and all! is it true? sounds great!
Old 12-13-2001, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My answers........

<i>its getting quite cold here in scotland now and im a bit worried about all the ice on my car! its all fully waxed up and looking great but that ice is tearing at my soul! - so is it bad for the paint even if its waxed? its about -5 celsius here at the moment but its also really humid in the air so tons of water/ice collects on the car.</i>

As long as you don't push the ice around on the finish or try to break it up with an ice scraper it really shouldn't do any damage to the paint.

<i>ALSO! anyone heard of teflon coating for paint? a local garage does it here and they give you a 5year guarantee that you wont need to wax your car again - and that the showroom shine will remain for the whole 5 years -with water beading and all! is it true? sounds great!</i>

Snake oil....don't waste your money. A quality Carnauba wax would be a better choice.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:39 AM

studies have shown that teflon won't do anything for your paint
Old 12-13-2001, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ice is fine, just don't push it around like Andy warns. I have never heard of that teflon coating.

How much does it cost out of curiosity?

-st
Old 12-13-2001, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Ice is fine, just don't push it around like Andy warns. I have never heard of that teflon coatin

the full teflon coating costs £30 for the car and its guaranteed for 5 years.

what they do is machine polish your car first, then fully wax the car, then apply the teflon coating - and it is supposed to keep the showroom shine intact for around 5 years!

im sceptical, but im going to pay the guy a visit and ask him to show me an example of a car it has been done to - ill report back!
Old 12-14-2001, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 50 lbs is cheat.. stuff like that in the USA usuall costs $200 USD or more..

There are many variations. My boss has one on his car thats like a 5yr wax (thats what its like). He swears by it, but for $200 USD I'm not willing to pay for it.

For that price, its probably worth getting, even if it last 1 year.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:42 AM

Default make sure you know what is going on before you spend money on teflon

According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." (Source: Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth About Teflon®", Professional Carwashing & Detailing, January, 1989.) (Note: the Acrylic Silicone Fluropolymer used in 3M's Show Car Paste Wax is not Telfon.)"
Old 12-14-2001, 11:22 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Bingo!

Hit the nail on the head with that one! That's exactly what I've read about teflon...for it to be effective at all, it must be applied at very high temps. If the car has already been painted, you'll peel the paint off by trying to correctly apply the teflon coating...too much heat!

Anybody that claims to be putting a teflon coating on their car is most likely selling snake oil (as Andy mentions).

Ice...exactly what Andy and the others said. I actually leave ice on the car, and let it melt off in it's own good time. The risk is too great that I'll damage the paint trying to remove it. The only exception is if the ice has melted near the surface of the paint and it's already loose. Rather than let it slide off the car and potentially scratch it, I will *lift* the sheet of ice off the car carefully.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:25 PM

Default Teflon is nothing but HYPE--->

Telfon has been proven to do nothing for your car, unless somehow you can heat the surface to 600 degrees Farenheit. Even DuPont publicly stated that the desired results for automobile purposes would be negligable in most scenarios.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do they even get it to stick? I thought that is the biggest problem with teflon...

...it won't stick to anything well.

-st