Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

just bought new 2005 A4, and i'm having a nervous breakdown!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought new 2005 A4, and i'm having a nervous breakdown!

yeah, i know that i'm being a bit **** about this since this is my first 'real' automobile. so don't send me to a therapist for this fellow audi owners. i've had hondas and cheap early vws until now.
so, i picked it up thursday, silver and beautiful, and filled it up with its first tank of premium at my local shell station. a bit of gas dribbled on the body near the gas tank door. so, i wiped it off with one of those dry, brown paper towels next to the pump. then i noticed those swirling, fine scratches in the bright sunlight where i mopped it up, ever so gently, i might add.
are these in the clear coat or the paint? i can't believe that the finish is so delicate on this durable-looking factory paint job!
i'm not a weekend car washer type guy... i live in manhattan, so i'm going to find an automatic high end car wash that is very good, as opposed to buying a bunch of products and doing it myself in my driveway, which doesn't even exist.
my point is this: should i worry about these tiney scratces and swirls in the clear cost on my new car since i will probably have them everywhere in a few weeks or months after getting it washed??? or did i really mess up my vehicle with a simple paper towel!
thanks for your understanding people...
and happy new year!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Default its probably very much on the surface and easily removed

with any quality polish. although I would imagine you should probably get used to these tiny imperfections if carwashes are in your future.

If you are a little ****, you may be better served finding a mobile detailer in the area that makes house calls for regular washings and whatnot. Id guess in Manhattan they should be abundent enough. Ask around and find neighbors with nice cars and find out who they use.

They are more expensive, id venture to guess 25.00 bucks and up for a basic wash but it could make all the difference.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 PM

2nd
Old 01-02-2005, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Motion passes!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from now on carry some microfiber towels and a quickdetailer in your trunk

This will avoid this problem in the future.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Default *slap to the back of your head !!*

"so i'm going to find an automatic high end car wash that is very good, as opposed to buying a bunch of products and doing it myself in my driveway"

shame on you !!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Before I used my MF to clean up spilled gas, I'd first drive over to the air/water station and

rinse with copious amounts of water.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're surprised that towel scratched your finish? Of course it did. Not only did you use it dry,

but have you looked at those towels? They have woodchips in 'em. Not really quality paper products we're talking 'bout here.

In the future, I recommend a better shaking technique. Barring that, read below.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you intend to take the car to automated car washes, those tiny scratches...

...will be the least of your problems. I defy anyone to identify any car wash place -- "brushless", "touchless" or even "hand wash" that doesn't scratch your paint.

If you don't intend to DIY, be resigned to having a finish that will never look as good as if you did DIY. The one exception would be if you regularly take your car to a reputable detailer who will give the car the TLC that you otherwise would.

Btw, I carry a small spray bottle of detailing spray and a clean microfiber cloth in my trunk for just the situation you're describing. But the better approach is to be compulsively careful about not getting any gas on the car in the first place. If it seems like you get some gas on the car no matter what you do, hold a paper towel or something like it underneath the nozzle to catch any drips.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's why I mentioned to use some quickdetailer instead of just smudging the gas around

no matter what you you still have to lightly polish and seal the paint again b/c the gas will strip much of your protection.

Quick Reply: just bought new 2005 A4, and i'm having a nervous breakdown!