Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

meguiars Gold Class liquid wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's not quite what I said. I said Blitz when compared to Meguiars, is like Meguiars when...

compared to Turtle wax. Blitz and P21S are head and shoulders above Meguiars, and I used to swear by it.

Oh, and I wouldn't go as far as to say it's unfounded. I've used both products extensively, so it is very founded. Have you used Blitz or are you just giving an opinion.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:03 AM

Its just an opinion, I don't think he was trying to state it as a fact
Old 09-11-2002, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yup. Not to mention that high end waxes are up for debate no matter what...

Once you get into the higher end products, a LOT of it is personal preference. So I don't think anyone can ever prove that wax A is better than wax B. We all have different tastes, we all have different methods of application and removal.

Some people prefer a more dull shine, they think that excessive gloss detracts from the natural color of the paint. How do you rate a product for these people? Surely a glossy wax would rank very low. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think the gloss really brings out dark colors.

My point is that once you get above the crap products, it is all up for debate.

-st
Old 09-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Rest In Peace

I would imagine #26 or #16 is better than the Gold Class stuff . . . never used it though . . .
Old 09-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I would use the Mother's Original Paste Wax Product# 0392867

I have used this extensively and it is probably the best non liquid wax on the site . . .
Old 09-11-2002, 06:24 PM

I agree
Old 09-12-2002, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Modern liquid waxes can be as good as their paste counterparts, however

you're paying for the liquifiers, and therefore getting less wax for your money using liquid. I also think that a good paste wax (read: Blitz/P21/Meguiars/Mothers/3M) is no more difficult to work with than a liquid wax. In fact, it may be easier to get a thin, even coat of paste, when done properly.

As for recommending a specific brand of wax, I've used all of the above listed and like Blitz the best when performance, ease of use and price are all considered. However, given that getting Blitz sounds like a royal PITA for you, I'll say that Meguiar's GC is also very good.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd just like to add that a modern liquid wax should outlast a modern paste wax.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You think so? What's your basis?
Old 09-13-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Even if both are carnauba? That isn't my understanding.

Pinnacle has come out with their own liquid wax, and their literature admits that the carnauba content necessarily has to be lower in order for a liquid to be a liquid. So while they say they've devised a new way of formulating liquid carnauba-based wax that gives it longevity and results equal to all but the very finest paste waxes (i.e, their own), they say that the liquid isn't quite as good as their own paste wax for this reason - lower carnauba content.

From the write-up at properautocare.com:
<i>Carnauba waxes have what is known in the industry as a "high
jetting factor". This is the ability of a product to produce a liquid-like shimmer
on the surface. Advertisers have coined the term "wet-look" to describe this
phenomenon. While carnauba can create this wet-look, it has been all but
impossible to create it with a liquid carnauba wax. There was no way to put
enough carnauba in a product to create this effect and still keep the wax a
liquid. In the past, if you wanted the deepest, wet-look shine, you had to use a
harder, paste wax. Liquid Souveran has changed that. It produces a deep,
liquid shimmer that rivals all but the very best carnauba paste waxes.</i><ul><li><a href="http://www.properautocare.com/pinliqsouvwa.html">Pinnacle Liquid Souveran at properautocare.com</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: meguiars Gold Class liquid wax