Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Is Perma-Plate a good system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Perma-Plate a good system?

Just purchased a new 2001 Ming Blue A6. The dealer has offerred to treat the car with Perma-Plate paintguard, fiberguard and leatherguard for $498. Is this something worth doing or can I do essentially the same thing myself for a lot less money?
Thanks for any advice
Old 08-08-2001, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Is Perma-Plate a good system?

It's OK, but save your money IMHO!!!!! It's really nothing special as far as I could tell. I had it, but have been using the Zaino Bros. products on my B. Black 2001 since it was 2 months old and couldn't be happer with their products and the results I'm getting. Save your money and do it yourself!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2001, 06:53 PM
ssi

Default I would personally decline...

the dealer makes a huge profit on these options, ie they are way overpriced. In most cases these are not even discussed until after the price of the car has been negotiated. I have heard that some dealers will also negotiate on these options.

Again I would decline and invest in products from manufacturers such as 3M, Klasse , One Grand, Lexol, Eimann Fabrik, 303, P21S, Zaino, Pinnacle, etc...
Old 08-08-2001, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: We got the Finishing Touch teflon treatment...

inside and out. Has a pretty good guarantee (5 years) against fading or oxidation of exterior painted surfaces and against staining of interior fabric and leather. When washing, car feels almost oily, it's so smooth and slippery. Water spots seem to come off pretty easily, too. I'm not very religious about pampering my cars, much as I would like to be. I just have other things I'd rather do with my time. This treatment allows me to have what looks like a freshly waxed car in an hour or so. I think it was well worth the $750 we (apparently over) paid.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Read about it on their web site...makes me suspicious.

Referring to the Paintguard product, the "care" section of the Perma-Plate web site talks about the dangers of commercial car washes...scratching that can be caused by a towel when your dry the car...the need to apply a "renewer" every several months and "more frequently" for dark colored cars...all which makes me ask: What the heck good is this expensive coating if it scratches just as easily as a finish that doesn't have it, and needs "renewal" as frequently (or more frequently?) as regular car wax? I also avoid products that say they "bond" with the paint. I take that to be code for "it ain't coming off, ever". If the coating starts looking like hell, you're stuck with it on your car. I guess then you put more of it on top of the old. Unlike wax, which is easily removed to allow you to start fresh whenever you want. Nope, I'd pass. Even if it were free.<ul><li><a href="http://www.perma-plate.com/index_caretips.html">Perma-Plate "Care tips"</a></li></ul>
Old 08-11-2001, 01:06 PM

I wouldn't take my car through an autowash period, perma or not :\