Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Q5's first sealant - and paint correction required

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Q5's first sealant - and paint correction required

Hi guys,

Just bought a new 2019 Q5 last month. Awesome car and my second Audi. Naturally at 1100 miles some ******* door dinged me which I was able to wipe off almost completely with a wet finger but there's a very very slight crease on the passenger rear door where it occurred and some very light scratching that I can barely catch with my fingernail.

I was about to give it its first good handwash and sealant. I'm wondering what I can use to blend the scratches away?

I have experience with applying basic wax and Griot's sealant using a cheap Autozone / WEX 6" buffer. I'm interested in moving up to better equipment to make my life easier but have no idea what I should buy.

Any suggestions for 1) new random orbital buffer, 2) slight scratch removal/correction, and 3 ) a good sealant / ceramic I can apply myself in my garage?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

I'd sure look at Griot's new polisher that was just introduced. $150 and they'll sell a lot at that price - - looks very well-built.

You might get their Correction Cream. That will cover a lot of bases for many folks.

Hard to recommend the sealants or ceramic coatings - - there are so many good products to chose from.

For something very simple/quick/e-z, you'd look at the SONAX Polymer Netshield. Many fine coatings out there, but the entire process is somewhat long.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! Just ordered a Griot's orbital with an orange and a red pad, one step sealant, microfiber towels, and a bottle of Meguires Hybrid Ceramic wax. That should get me started!
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

NICE !!

You'll probably enjoy watching the video they did on the new polisher, it's about 15 mins long.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Following-up on this thread -

Got the Griot's starter kit which includes the orbital, some nice MF towels, One Step Sealant, and an orange pad. I also bought a bottle of Meguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax. Unfortunately the One Step Sealant doesn't have enough cut to fix the scratches. though it greatly improved them. I ordered a bottle of Griot's Correcting Cream which should definitely do the trick so I'll try again next week.

I've used the One Step Sealant before and I like it a lot, very easy to use though be careful because it can be a real PITA to get off of rubber things like gaskets if you don't tape off first. I never tape anything off and it seems like the Q5 has different rubber compound around the windows and such than my 2014 A4 had. The A4 had white streaks all over the gaskets but the Q is easier to wipe off. Nice.

The Hybrid Ceramic Wax is pretty cool. I followed the directions and didn't rinse it off but rather did my best to buff it off with MF towels to "set a base layer" on a new car. I also sprayed it on my wheels. The wax looks REALLY good but I had to wait until the next morning to full remove the streaks with a towel left by the wax because it's somewhat greasy/streaky. Once I also sprayed it on the grill and all painted plastic areas like rockers and rear valance. I did not put it on the glass, not sure if that would be a good idea? I hate streaky glass.

I'll follow up again after I try the Correcting cream.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The Hybrid Ceramic Wax is pretty good, but it does streak so it's a little more of a challenge to remove.

I leased a new mythos black Q5 during Black Friday weekend and was planning using C Quartz UK 3.0. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a garage currently to allow 48 hours to cure without moisture since it gets cold/dew overnight during winter in LA. I was searching for a product that I could use that would protect the near virgin paint and look good.

Perfect introduction to their new line. I like Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray Coating (yes, that Turtle Wax!). Much easier to apply than Mequairs, amazing results and love the mango smell.