Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Questions (alot) about polishing....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions (alot) about polishing....

I use Ted's three step IHG, GEPC and Blitz with ShowOff in between.

I was under a string of flouresent lights and was rocked by the number of ultra fine scratches. No pattern in the scratches..

So, since I have been contemplating a professional polish/glaze/wax I figure I should entertain buying a machine polisher. It would cost the same as one professional detailing.

So how many of you use machine polishers, and which one?

Is an airpowered orbital like the Griotts version worthwhile or is the PC version better?

Can I use the same cleaning routine but scale it back for the machine?

What is the negative and how likely is it that I could screw up? I am very **** and extremely handy...and I would love a concourse finish...
Old 09-14-2002, 06:36 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would recommend the PC polisher before a professional polish.

Reading your posts, I'm assuming you are already very good about how you take care of your car. The swirls you describe are probably very fine, and inevitable on dark paint. In my mind, sending it out for a professional polish is appropriate if things get really bad, but as a yearly or twice yearly ritual, I would be afraid to continually grind down the clearcoat.

The PC polisher is really a dummy-proof product, and it is quite gentle on the paint, provided you use the right products. You can get aggressive if you like, but I like that fact that it is more forgiving to the paint than a professional polish. Sure, you might still have a few stubborn swirls left behind, but you'll have more of your clearcoat as well.

Trying to maintain concours quality paintwork on a street car is damn near impossible. Make sure set a goal that is attainable under the circumstances, or you'll find yourself polishing down the paint every month.

That's my take...mostly philosophy and theory, which is all I can really provide, without seeing what you're talking about.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Point well taken....