Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Show of hands.. who would like to see a "shoot out" of some of the most popular products

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show of hands.. who would like to see a "shoot out" of some of the most popular products

Comparison would include:

*before and after photoshoot
*black cars would be selected for this (all with similar levels of defects, scratches, swirls, marring)
*process would be done with just a random orbital (rotary's give an unfair advantage and most enthusiasts here use a random orbital)
*process would include each specific manufacturer's car wash/shampoo, compounding(if product is available), polishing, glazing, sealing (we will use our own clay)
*if the manufacturer has special products, we'll use them for the comparo... this includes Menzerna's PO85RD 22992, etc
*durability test in the Seattle area for a period of 6 months (winter abuse) with updates every 2-4 weeks
*comparo would grade every process (1-10) in usability, durability, gloss/shine, etc
*a full report in PDF and on the web will be available

Products that come to mind for the comparo:

*Note: Not all would get tested (unless we could get our hands on everything without buying every detailing product in the world). If you want to see this, maybe we can vote on what products to test.

Menzerna
Klasse
4star
Zaino
Adam's
P21S
Blackfire
3M
Pinnacle
Poorboys
Optimum

Let me know... I'd be more than willing to perform the long term test. Maybe get a few people to help chip in for some products, or if people have samples to give out? I can try contacting some of manufacturer's to obtain samples for this shoot out.

If you have any ideas, recommendations, suggestions....let's here them!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it's a good idea but seperat cars give you a huge amount of variables

why not 3 black hoods, or trunks. sperated by tape into 18x18 inch areas. You could then hit each hood with a simple light scouring pad evenly distributing a perscribed defect.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice suggestion here. I'd love to see that test done.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:36 PM

Default i thought of that as well... but a small section of a car isn't enough of a test

for a true shoot out. Manufacturers don't make concessions for cars with light damage or heavy damage. Their products are designed to work for the masses. I can do my best to level the playing field by inspecting each test car for similar amounts of damage. Then each car would get sent out with a "maintenance" routine.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You could also get people to mail you samples. 2oz bottles are available at any drug or grocery

store for pennies and shipping would only be a few bucks.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM

that would be ideal!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM

Default I'd like to see

Prima & 1Z added to the list of possible.

Also what would be done in the meantime to the vehicles during the 6 months? Just wash? No additional coats? No QD?

Sounds great!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Former Vendor

Jin, let me know what you need, I can get samples out to you.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah i get what your saying. that introduces more variables, but gives a more accurate

account of how they preform in real world.

6:1 half dozen the other i guess.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't forget 1Z Glanz.

Quick Reply: Show of hands.. who would like to see a "shoot out" of some of the most popular products