Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wax on Top of a Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax on Top of a Sealant

I'm currently using Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant on my Q5. I was wondering if its a good idea or if I should be applying a wax on top of the sealant? Thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by auntrout
I'm currently using Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant on my Q5. I was wondering if its a good idea or if I should be applying a wax on top of the sealant? Thanks
I've applied Griots Wax on top of Griots Sealant with no issues. It adds some depth and warmth to the paint (Black).
Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
I've applied Griots Wax on top of Griots Sealant with no issues. It adds some depth and warmth to the paint (Black).
Thanks. Since I used the Sonax sealant I probably should stick with a Sonax wax. Does the Griots wax affect how water sheds off your vehicle? I've been really happy with how the Sonax sealant sheds water and sort of worried that putting wax on top may impact the water shedding properties of the sealant.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. Since I used the Sonax sealant I probably should stick with a Sonax wax. Does the Griots wax affect how water sheds off your vehicle? I've been really happy with how the Sonax sealant sheds water and sort of worried that putting wax on top may impact the water shedding properties of the sealant.
You can apply carnauba waxes over paint sealant to add more depth and warmth to the gloss.

Having a paint sealant as a base layer of protection is great for longevity (typically paint sealants last 5 to 6 months) but they have a "colder" shine to them, kind of synthetic look as they are synthetic polymers.

Adding a layer of high quality carnauba wax on top not only protects the paint sealant (the wax acts as a sacrificial layer protecting the paint sealant underneath) but the wax is a natural organic substance (found in plants in Brazil) and gives off a warm rich gloss.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree with PTO...

Also I would stick with the Sealant and Wax being from the same manufacture. Most of them engineer their products to work together.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pan The Organizer
You can apply carnauba waxes over paint sealant to add more depth and warmth to the gloss.

Having a paint sealant as a base layer of protection is great for longevity (typically paint sealants last 5 to 6 months) but they have a "colder" shine to them, kind of synthetic look as they are synthetic polymers.

Adding a layer of high quality carnauba wax on top not only protects the paint sealant (the wax acts as a sacrificial layer protecting the paint sealant underneath) but the wax is a natural organic substance (found in plants in Brazil) and gives off a warm rich gloss.
Thanks for explanation, I think I'll go with a Sonax wax on top of the Sonax sealant. Looks like my choice from Sonax are Sonax Premium Class Carnauba Wax, Sonax High Speed Wax and Sonax NanoTechnology Liquid Wax. Have to decide which one to use.

BTW - watched may of your detailing videos; they are very informative. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Last edited by auntrout; 07-24-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW - watched may of your detailing videos; they are very informative. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
My pleasure! Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Post some pics when done!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PTO - You sold me on CarPro products.