Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wheel cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel cleaner?

Hi there. Have a 2018 s3 with 19” wheels and OEM brakes. What is everyone’s favorite wheel cleaner?

I tried Adam’s wheel and tire cleaner undiluted with foam sprayer and wasn’t nearly strong enough. Also sonax and wasn’t happy.

Then Adam’s wheel cleaner (blue stuff) diluted 1:3 and quite a bit better but still didn’t get everything.

Now I have megs wheel brightener I have yet to use. Anyone use this on this wheels yet? I’m assuming it’s safe? Dilution recommendations? I’ve read this is arguably the most powerful out there.

Ideally Id like to find something that gets it all with rinse, spray, wait, quick agitate and rinse off. But maybe impossible with these OE brakes?
Old 08-31-2022, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

Sonax Beast Wheel Cleaner is my choice.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Sonax Beast Wheel Cleaner is my choice.
Thanks. I asked Sonax about this and they said their strongest wheel cleaner is Wheel Cleaner Plus which I've tried before and was dissatisfied. Anybody else have any recommendations?
Old 09-08-2022, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman97
Thanks. I asked Sonax about this and they said their strongest wheel cleaner is Wheel Cleaner Plus which I've tried before and was dissatisfied. Anybody else have any recommendations?
I'm curious as to what kind of brush you used with this cleaner. Wheel Cleaner Plus is pretty intense stuff and I've had great success removing years of stubborn grime from my trucks wheels with it. Maybe try a different brush with it? I've had good success with Detailed Images EZ Detail Brushes
Old 09-12-2022, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman97
I can recommend other wheel cleaners, but does not sound like a wheel cleaner issue. What wheel material/finish do you have on your wheel? Odds are you want to have a polish to provide a deeper clean. I have used polish in conjunction to a quality wheel cleaner to restore and remove imperfections. Many times when you see an exhaust tip go from black to brand new a metal polish was used after removing everything a wheel cleaner/Iron spray could. I would also ask what you are using to scrub your wheels. EZ detailer brush is my go to, wheel woolies are useful so you can apply more safe pressure to the cleaner surface with a cleaner. Again, I think a metal polish or a polish that suites your wheels finish will make a BIG difference.

Originally Posted by Sjorge3442
I'm curious as to what kind of brush you used with this cleaner. Wheel Cleaner Plus is pretty intense stuff and I've had great success removing years of stubborn grime from my trucks wheels with it. Maybe try a different brush with it? I've had good success with Detailed Images EZ Detail Brushes
I was wondering the same thing. A good brush and potentially the right polish for his wheel type would help the OP.
The following users liked this post:
AscariBlue (03-08-2024)
Old 09-20-2022, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Not that it might be the case, but are you just spraying on and rinsing off? From my experience, most require agitation to work well.
The following 2 users liked this post by vkamnyev:
Mysteryman1961 (01-06-2024), uberwgn (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sjorge3442
Like Kevin, having been using Sonax for years -- no issues, whether using Wheel Woolie brushes or microfiber rags....

Agree with WHiteshodow89 in that you may not have a wheel cleaner issue - even scrubbing with ONR works. What was initial condition of wheels? Is it possible that they were not in perfect shape to begin with?
Old 09-21-2022, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

I've been using Black Magic ceramic wheel cleaner. Along with a set of detailing brushes I picked up at meijer. Nice thing about this stuff is that it leaves a ceramic coating, so the wheels have some protection from brake dust and the elements.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Adams is good, stinks but its good
Old 05-30-2023, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

Recommend ceramic coating wheels, so easy cleaning with typical car wash soap and brushes.

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaner?