Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wheel cleaners removing wheel wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel cleaners removing wheel wax

I have just FMJ'd my clear coat wheels.

Some on the forum state that some wheel cleaners such as P21S REMOVE the wax.

Which wheel cleaners are safe to use on waxed wheels and NOT remove the wax? What about 1Z?

If this is true, it seems like the only time you would use a dedicated wheel cleaner is at the semiannual full detailing..yes?

Set me straight.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Default all wheel cleaners will remove protection on the wheels. wheels are subjected

to lots of wear and tear and the heat from braking will affect waxes and synthetic sealants. If you properly apply FMJ to your wheels and let them cure, just a good wash with light soap once a week will maintain a good protective coating. P21S wheel cleaner should only be used on wheels that are not cleaned often, and once it's used, consider reapplying protection.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default like mr. kimchee says, wheel cleaners are very tough on wax...

just about the safest thing you can use is car shampoo and a wheel brush.

i've found that Klasse AIO has held up well against several applications of Meg's all wheel cleaner...water was still beading up until about 2 weeks ago (wheels were waxed in April, and car is washed about 1x a week).

synthetics are the best.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What do you suggest for cure time before wiping off?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 AM

Default depends on the protection, but the general rule for synthetic products is to allow

12 hrs of dry time for a synthetic product, one hour for a carnuba product.

Remember folks...sealants/waxes/protectants work best when applied to a clean surface. If you want it to last longer on your painted wheels... really clean them. Use a good safe wheel cleaner, some adhesive remover (3M highly recommended) and also clay bar the entire wheel. It's painted just like your car's paint, and protectants are designed to work best when applied to a clean surface. Protectant on a dirty wheel only adheres to "dirt" and will just wipe off the next time you wash your wheels. It's only common sense... I don't any of us on this forum would apply a sealant or wax on a car that needs claybar or hasn't been properly cleaned, so why wouldn't you do the same on a painted wheel?

We use Klasse All-In-One (AIO) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) on painted wheels.

For a somewhat basic package (basic to me would be what an enthusiast would do) we just apply AIO and immediately wipe it off. As long as you're using a mild car soap and washing the wheels once a week, AIO holds up for about 1-2 months. In most cases if applied on a clean wheel (one that's seen clay bar and some adhesive remover) just washing with a pressure washer will remove the dirt. And I don't mean a few dirt spots are washed away....all the brake dust and dirt literally falls off the wheel.

For the next package up (for fanatics...crazy enthusiasts and **** folks) we use AIO, wipe off immediately and then apply SG and let it sit until it dries and then use a little bit of Prima Hydro to use as a lubricant to wipe off SG. When you let SG dry, it hardens and becomes difficult wipe off. This combination with proper maintenance, we've seen customer's cars come in 3-4 months later (well maintained with car shampoo and warm water, not wheel cleaner)and the wheels are still relatively clean and very easy to wipe off all the residue.

As a test...I applied Klasse Twins on all of my wheels, and I have stock brake pads up front(we all know how much dust stock brake pads generate). The driver side wheels I used adam's soap and on the other side I used p21S wheel cleaner (let it sit on my wheels for about an hour) after 2 weeks of driving. And the way I drive, 2 weeks worth and in the rain leaves my wheels almost dark gray) both sides obviously came clean. Then.. waited another 2 weeks and went to wipe the wheels with some detail spray and an old mf towel. One spray on a portion of the wheel and one wipe, and the towel that wiped the side with p21S didn't remove all the dirt...where as the side that I only used soap and water did not affect the sealant and one swipe removed all of the brake dust with ease. Not the best test, but that was enough for me to figure out that p21S wheel cleaner should only be used for heavy duty cleaning and not to use on customers who come in for maintenance details. So... my conclusion...the wheels that were cleaned with p21S stripped off all or alot of sealant.

For concours or show cars, we apply Klasse AIO, SG and then a coat of wax.

We've been experimenting with Klasse on non clearcoated wheels and polished metal. Klasse seems to adhere but the finish is hazy. We need to find a good metal sealant. I just discovered that Blackfire has one. Haven't gotten around to ordering it and testing it out.

If you've made it this far, then wow! For that, I'll provide you with a tip for cleaning super super dirty wheels. Dirt, brake dust and just crap that sticks to paint that p21S and degreasers can not get out, not matter what you use and how you scrub, the stuff just doesn't move. <b>REMEMBER, only use this trick on wheels that are painted and have clearcoat or a clear lacquer.</b> If you ever come across a wheel in this shape... most popular example would be track wheels that turn yellow and the brake dust is completely embedded in the paint because they never get cleaned...for you weekend track warriors.. brake dust off pagid oranges that never get cleaned!!! Yikes!

Take some orange degreaser (gojo.. the stuff you use to wash grease of your hands, but make sure to get the stuff without the grit in the product) and softly massage it with a soft bristle toothbrush or a mf product. It takes some time and some elbow grease, but voila... it does the trick... and most of the time it works immediately. The gritty gojo works really fast and in some cases you may need to use a rubber/plastic tool to actually remove some of the pieces. But the orange degreaser really helps break down build up. I wouldn't try any orange degreaser sprays... who knows what other chemicals/solvents are mixed in there. The reason we use gojo is because it's safe enough for skin, most likely, it'll be ok for paint.

In some cases, you may have to end up polishing the wheel with some polish and a machine, but with the non gritty orange hand cleaner, it won't be too bad. The upside to this method is you don't have to wait for p21S to soak in and properly work. The downside being that you could put some fine scratches in the paint. But in our case, we have customers who pay to get their wheels detailed, we'll make then shine and mostly paint defect free.

The end.