Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Directional front rotors on A4 B9? (non drilled/slotted)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Directional front rotors on A4 B9? (non drilled/slotted)

I just replaced my front rotors (ferodo) and pads (TRW) on my 2016 A4 B9 TDI Quattro with fixed calipers (1LC). However after installation I noticed both rotors were the same, ie the internal vent vanes were looking at the same direction. Installed this way it looks like the left rotor has the correct orientation (vents facing rear looking from top) but the right one is the other way round so the vents are facing front, which should not be the case according to design I guess.

Checked the catalog again to make sure I did not made a mistake ordering and yes there is only one part number with required quantity of 2. No notes about directionality not on the box not on the catalog.

I will checked the old ones when I get back to the shop, those were the original ones from the factory. The right one showed signs of heat stress hence the rotor change despite good remaining thickness. I wonder if this is a result of the incorrect vane orientation on the rh rotor from the factory.

I've found very little information about this online, only some vw owners noticed the same on their stock golf R's and sets bought from VW directly.

How does your stock and replacement rotors look like?
Old 05-05-2024, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 488 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by LAH_
I just replaced my front rotors (ferodo) and pads (TRW) on my 2016 A4 B9 TDI Quattro with fixed calipers (1LC). However after installation I noticed both rotors were the same, ie the internal vent vanes were looking at the same direction. Installed this way it looks like the left rotor has the correct orientation (vents facing rear looking from top) but the right one is the other way round so the vents are facing front, which should not be the case according to design I guess.

Checked the catalog again to make sure I did not made a mistake ordering and yes there is only one part number with required quantity of 2. No notes about directionality not on the box not on the catalog.

I will checked the old ones when I get back to the shop, those were the original ones from the factory. The right one showed signs of heat stress hence the rotor change despite good remaining thickness. I wonder if this is a result of the incorrect vane orientation on the rh rotor from the factory.

I've found very little information about this online, only some vw owners noticed the same on their stock golf R's and sets bought from VW directly.

How does your stock and replacement rotors look like?
That is how oem rotors are configured. There was a discussion thread on this in the past and, as I recall, someone presented testing information that indicated there was little or no difference in cooling based on the direction of the veins. There are some aftermarket rotors that are directional but I would imagine any benefit would only be evident under more extreme situations, such as on a track.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan99
That is how oem rotors are configured. There was a discussion thread on this in the past and, as I recall, someone presented testing information that indicated there was little or no difference in cooling based on the direction of the veins. There are some aftermarket rotors that are directional but I would imagine any benefit would only be evident under more extreme situations, such as on a track.
Thanks for the info, that's a relief! Driving in the city, I don't think I will ever come close to the conditions of a track day.