Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

HELP~! Wheel Bearing or Axle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP~! Wheel Bearing or Axle problem?

Does anyone know what this sound mean?
it happen and getting worst since i did alignment.
the is constantly same volume as car go forward, doesnt matter how fast i drive

http://www.tunescoop.com/play/323036303733/memo-m4a

Please Help...
I was think its the wheel bearing.. but not too sure.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have never heard such a sound. Tell us to conditions under whcih you made that recording...

Does not sound like a wheel bearing. Sounds like something interfering - actually scraping, but who knows? Aside from the alignment, what else has changed?

Typically, the test for a wheel bearing is to drive down the road an swerve. When you turn to the left, weight and torque is transferred to the right wheel bearing a. When turning to the right, it transfers noise to the left WB. So if the noise gets louder as you turn left, its likely the RF wheel bearing and vice-versa.

I would spin the wheels with the car in the air and look for something touching - tire, something in the brakes, etc.

Grant
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It doesn't sound louder when I turn the wheel go left or right. Sound pretty consistent.
I took off the wheel have a look, brake pad have close to 1cm left. Put back the wheel, it sound awful.

I took the wheel off again 2 days after, put it back. wheel noise sound less.

I guess I just have to bring in to shop to check.

Originally Posted by Just Me
I have never heard such a sound. Tell us to conditions under whcih you made that recording...

Does not sound like a wheel bearing. Sounds like something interfering - actually scraping, but who knows? Aside from the alignment, what else has changed?

Typically, the test for a wheel bearing is to drive down the road an swerve. When you turn to the left, weight and torque is transferred to the right wheel bearing a. When turning to the right, it transfers noise to the left WB. So if the noise gets louder as you turn left, its likely the RF wheel bearing and vice-versa.

I would spin the wheels with the car in the air and look for something touching - tire, something in the brakes, etc.

Grant
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

btw, my car is a Quattro Auto.
so the wheel is lock even I put on N gear.
know how I make the wheel spin freely?
maybe because I only lift up my car one side?
so the other wheel is stuck on the ground?

Originally Posted by Just Me

Grant
Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If both (or better yet, all 4 wheels) are off the ground it allows one to turn one direction adn the other to turn the other direction.

Grant
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bring to my frd shop, finally squeeze down the ans.
It actually the tires itself...
we switch the wheel around.
its only the one wheel and tire costing the sound.
we think it probably I storage the car too long, and didn't notice the tire was out of air.
so squeeze the run flat tire's wall changed shape only at below part.
so now, when the wheel rotate when car applying pressure, it costing sound at that part of the tire.

happy to know that now
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

most noises are tires. Your tire may be ok once it heats up well once. If not, it may be dangerous...

Grant