Chipping in Canada, Québec, Québec City

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipping in Canada, Québec, Québec City

I am really tempted by the 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro, but I feel like almost 40 K$ before options is a lot of money for a 170 HP 4-cylinder car.

Spending a few hundreds more to uprate it to around 200 HP would make this easier to justify...

There is a lot of discussion about chipping in the US forum, and it seems like a no-brainer, except for the oh-so-little detail of potentially

*** voiding the warranty ***

There is only one Audi dealer in Quebec City, Qué-Bourg Auto. Would anyone have experience with this dealer and chipped cars?

I also welcome comments regarding other dealers in the province of Québec as to their handling of chipped cars and warranty.

How does one go about getting chipped in Canada?

Any Canadian-specific web site?
Chipping specialty shops in Montreal or (unbelievably) in my remote Quebec City ?

The 1.8T A4 should be factory tuned to 200 HP by Audi. They can get 225 HP from the 1.8 liters in the TT, so they could give us 200 in the A4 without any problem.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you're not ready to deal with a "may void warranty", you should not chip! Many will share this

point of view.

My 2 cents,

Sylvain
Old 09-07-2003, 09:08 AM

Default In Montreal you can get a GIAC chip from Trac Racing or

If you prefer you can also get a Neuspeed chip from RMR autosport,and if your really stuck and want to get raped in Quebec city you can contact JRP<ul><li><a href="http://www.jrponline.com/">http://www.jrponline.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 09-07-2003, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Trac Racing is running a special now for the P-Chip, $575 instaled ($100 value)
Old 09-07-2003, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I think the other two post cover who chips with what brand of chip....

I don't know if Revo is in the province of Quebec yet. The warranty issue is real be prepared to deal with it. Now, true the TT as 225 hp but it is not the same engine as in the new B6 A4.
In the older B5 A4s the engine was similar but even then the TT's engine had reenforced inners, dual intercoolers and a K04 turbo to produce the extra horses. Now the new B6 A4's engine from the outside looks similar to the older model's engine but again the inners were substantially modified to meet the more aggressive ULEV norms and because of this even the tuners are having big problems chipping and upgrading this engine. There are still no stage 3 upgrades available for this car although it as been on the market three years if you take into account the car was out in Europe in October 2000. Now onto the dealer side of things. In Montreal there are some dealers that are more friendly towards chipped cars and some that are difinately A$$ HOLES about it, but nobody is going to write to you on this board which ones are and the ones that are not, at least they better not, because Audi as been know to read this board.

The best policy against loosing part of your warranty is to not chip.
The second best policy against loosing part of your warranty is to buy a spare ECU, get it programmed at your dealers for it to work with the immobilizer and keys, then you can get it chipped and reinstall it in your car and keep the original ECU as a spare if and when you have major engine related problems. Now the problem with this spare ECU thing is I don't know if dealers are willing or able to sell them anymore.

Two more tuners you can think of for chips are;
Joe Hoppen Motorsports which carries MTM and AMS which carries ABT. Both these tuners are in the States, one in Florida the other in California. You will have to ship them your ECU for programming, which means your car will be down for maybe three days, however if you have a spare ECU like I said before this would not be a problem.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Mike in Montreal
Old 09-07-2003, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Mike in Montreal".... héhé
Old 09-07-2003, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, what can I do for you Vince? ! BTW check your mom's car posting.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think I will try openly discussing chipping with the dealer before I buy a car

One problem...The service dept is currently in a prolonged lock-out

One thing is sure, I don't want to lose warranty on a brand new car
Old 09-07-2003, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. I am keeping it for reference
Old 09-07-2003, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Chipping in Canada, Québec, Québec City