Help! Just got a speeding ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Just got a speeding ticket!

Anybody out there know if they spell your name wrong a traffic ticket in Toronto, does that mean you can beat it? 63 in a 40. Hopefully there are some policemen audi drivers out there that can help.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Elder Member

Were you going 63? If so just pay the ticket. That's the way the game is played.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:48 AM

Default What does that mean.

My pregnant wife makes me late everyday for work and it's kind of a trap. Royal York and Eglinton north of Eglinton it goes from 50 to 40 for just two blocks. I know it's there every morning, but today we were running really late. This is my first speeding ticket in 16 years. Like to keep my record clean if i can.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:53 AM
Elder Member

Default I'm in Quebec so my info may not apply but...

All speeding tickets are traps unless you are really a danger of the road. Then you get "dangerous driving" in addition to speeding. Think of it as municipal taxes taken by policeman.

I have a friend that contested once because the color of the car was not right on the ticket and she argued that the policeman confused her car and another one at night. This won't work with a name spelling.

Sometimes you can just show up, explain the situation and get a lower sentence/points. Or if you are rich you can trade points for higher cost.

Anyway if you really want to try to get away from it it MAY be worth showing up in court. But don't expect miracles and be really polite with the judge.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:00 AM

Default Nope...

an error in the spelling of your name is not considered a fatal error and therefore not a strong enough reason for dismissal. If you plead guilty with a reason, the only thing that they can do is reduce the fine. Only chance of not having the charge show up on your record is if you go to court.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unless you plead not guilty and win, they won't do anything about the points. (more)

The ministry takes care of that end. The judge can, however, reduce or eliminate your fine if you explain with good reason why you were speeding (guilty with an explanation).

I once got a ticket for going through a red light, and pled not guilty. Went to court, and after some explaining was told "you're free to go". So I thought "damn, I won". I was happier than a pig in ****, but turns out that they just let the fine go, but the points remained.
A year later when my insurance company called to cancel the insurance (only allowed one ticket/one accident), I was stumped. Called the courthouse, and they explained that even if you win, it is up to the judge to have the points remain on the record, or to request to the ministry to have them removed from the record!!
My $.02.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Get a lawyer......

I paid 250$ for 3 points, 400$ for 5 points (twice) but in my case I would of lost my liscence so didn't have the choice..... there are some really good lawyers who can do a great and fast job.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:56 AM

Default 2nd that.

And because you're only 23 km over, the lawyer will be able to get a deal (i.e. 15 over - which means no points and fine reduced by 50%). However if you were in a community zone, or school zone... it's a different story. More of a reason to get a lawyer tho.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:21 AM

Default what about those xcopper type guys? (more)

Sorry about the non audi questions, but it was the CVT's fault! can I use that as a defense?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:04 AM

Default even they spell your name wrong, doesn't mean you can win it. that's what my ticket fighter told m

he also told me they can always re-issue you another ticket with all the correct name, address.etc. within 60 days (i think)

Quick Reply: Help! Just got a speeding ticket!