Just back from Calgary/Canmore/Banff/Lake Louise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sshhhh! keep it a secret

that drive is one of the best in the rockies, it makes a great loop from calgary. ranching country, mountains etc. Also in the spring before the gates open to cars the road is bare so it is GREAT for cycling.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Don't you have dodge the grizzlies in the Spring?

They can sprint pretty damn fast and are awfully hungry at that time......!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's a magical area. Lived in Banff during it's transformation from touristy but quaint mtn town

to the tourist trap that it is today. In fact my boss was elected to the first two city councils (town was under park control prior), and I recall having very heated discussions with him about what was happening to the town. The first time around, he was almost mayor.

Little did I know he had a growing gambling problem and cheated often on his wife - but we all found out about this and more when he committed suicide. No doubt a combination of gambling debts and political debts that he could no longer deliver upon. He'd alienated the town old guard, moved his shop several times, and went from having a prosperous business to a small place tucked away in a new mall. He went from having a widely known reputation for being the best person to work for in town, to being just like working at a t-shirt store. I'd left the business long before that.

How I miss that funky little town with its nooks and crannies, and its characters imported from around the world.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Default heh, true story.

we did the bike thing one spring (the road was still closed to cars) a couple of years ago with my son who was around 11-12. it is a major climb to the Highwood Pass (7300 ft at the top) from that junction you turned at. Like most kids he was tired and cranky before we reached the top and wanted to quit. I told him if he makes it to the top he can start the ride back down by himself. he made it and after a short lunch he took off first and pedaled away as fast as he could. he had just put on a speedometer on his bike so wanted to see how fast he could go (IIRC he hit 50-51kmh on his bike) I caught up to him after about 10 minutes when he had stopped to wait for us. i pull up beside him and we are discussing his speed when i look over and there is a young grizzly moving up along the trees on the other side of the ditch past us. he walked about 50 yds up the road and crossed over the road. i think neither my son nor the bear had noticed each other. So the moral of the story is, make sure your kid can handle high speeds on a bike before heading for the hills. He is lucky not to have crashed and injured himself.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Every retail job in Banff/Lake Louise is staffed by Aussies.

"Where's all da Canajians at?"

Srsly, it was odd - there are no Canucks working anywhere.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default It's tough to beat the Rockies! If you're ever back and want to do a cool drive, especially...

in the winter, you should do the spray lakes road that goes from Canmore to Kananaskis. Make sure you have good tires as it's a 60km gravel road that's plowed in the winter but usually ends up being hardpack snow and ice. Fun driving and great scenery!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default They come and go based on season. Summer for the locals (when they are out of school)

and Winter for the Aussies and South Americans.

The true year around folks are quite rare. Takes a while to find them in the crowds that come and go;-)
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Calgary isn't blanketed with photo radar and all those slow drivers

were recent arrivals who have no idea how to drive in snow and have all season tires. After a decade of dry winters this City is now incapable of handling the white stuff, almost as bad as Vancouver!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Hmmm, interesting, as I don't recall the slow pokes from way back when. Makes sense
Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

photo radar signs on the deerfoot are a lie, but red-light photos are endemic

Quick Reply: Just back from Calgary/Canmore/Banff/Lake Louise...