Question about border crossing / customs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about border crossing / customs.

I plan on driving my car from Buffalo to Toronto this coming weekend to pick up an interior for my S4 (both fronts and rear bench, as well as 4 door panels). I plan to drive over with out any rear seats or passenger, so I may bolt the stuff in over there, so everything fits in my car.

What are the odds that they will remember my car going over with out seats, and what kind of customs am I looking at paying when crossing. Or even better, how do I get around paying them?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Are you coming back same day you cross?

You probably can get through fine. They may pull your car over when they see you have no backseat or passenger, and they'll search it, but no biggie if you aren't trying to sneak anything illegal across the border. I know a guy who owns a tuner (i.e. ricer) shop in Buffalo and he goes over to Canada all the time for mods, and he's always got car parts in his trunk and he just tells them he's going to get some work done and when I crosses back everything is installed so they don't think twice when he says he had some auto work done. Just make sure you have all your papers for the car(and yourself obviously)

You should look into the rules for tax. I know that if you stay in Canada and spend a certain amount of money, I think you can be reimbursed for a portion of one of the taxes (PST or GST I'm not sure which one). It's not a full refund, but you get some of it back. There are some forms you fill out and mail in, but you have to do it right away, within a week I think. I stayed in TO once for 4 days and got back like $40 USD from the tax I paid. Not much, considering I spent about $700 the whole time I was there but still it's something.

When I drove to St. Catherines last week I paid 15% tax on my 50K service. I only spent ~$300 though, so I don't think I can get anything back, or if I could I imagine it would be less than $10. They asked me what I did while i was in country and I told them I had maintenance work done and they didn't bother me about that. The customs guy I had just made rude remarks to me because I'm a young guy with an expensive car.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Question about border crossing / customs.

maybe then u should keep ur seats in when u r crossing, but then again goin back with them hmmm I dont know I dont think you can escape this one lol
Old 10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure, but I just went across to pick up my RS2 gearbox...

and was back across the border within 4 hours. Told them exactly what I had in the trunk, and that I paid $150 for it. Cost me a total of $12.00 to get it back into Canada.
You don't see the same people when you cross the border and back again. Canadians on your way up, Americans on your way back down. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Customs offices are not connected...

So they won't know you didn't have an interior on the way over. It may be a pain crossing, but more than likely it won't be much of an issue. On the way back just go over, they have no way of knowing you put the interior in.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:40 PM

Default No, spending the weekend with the GF in Canadia and getting the seats in one shot.

Two birds, one stone ;-)
Old 10-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Ya, I'll tell them I paid $100 if they ask.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 PM

Default odds: NONE

dont worry about it...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, chances are they won't know much about the value of car parts, let alone Audi parts!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your x'ing Canada customs first then re-entering the US. Why do you have to worry? ...or maybe I

misunderstood your Q.

I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Quick Reply: Question about border crossing / customs.