Resident speeding ticket & laser experts in BC (or other provinces). Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're right, I remember somethign about that!

Just went on their site:

When are driver penalty points calculated?

A bill for any driver penalty point (DPP) premium you owe will be sent to you once a year, approximately 4 weeks before your birthday.

The bill applies to driving offences committed during the 12-month period that ends 5 months before your birthday. This period is the assessment period.

In which case this current year for their purposes will be over for me in a couple of months! I just called also and they said that if you dispute a ticket, if you lose, the date they use is the original violation date and not the date you are found guilty.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Actually, it takes about 2- seconds to get a reading with a laser device,

so if you throw out the anchors at the first bleep on the V1 you should be able to get away with it.

I've played around with a laser gun and noticed this "phenomena". Also if your rate of speed change through "deceleration is above a certain threshold, the laze gun will not display a reading.

I've actually had a cop shake his fist at me while driving past him, after he tried zapping me.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM

The gun probably averages samples over the period of two seconds.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Lane Shark

Default Hmmm

On drivers abstracts, they don't get taken off for 5 yrs.
The 5 yr clock starts when you're found guilty. Which for undisputed tickets is 30 days after violation date.
On disputed tickets is your guilty date.

I think if it's in dispute, it'd be the same. Since tickets can take many months or almost a yr in some cases, they don't back date.

Maybe call again & see if you get the same info or different from a different person.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default GT I need your advice!

That's what I thought too. The guy said "I'm sure it's the violation date. If you ever need us to revisit the dates, we can do so." So he gave me the impression that it might work on guilty dates, but you could call them and they'd look at it if the calculation resulted in an incorrect fine.

I went back to the ICBC page, and it does sound like he's wrong: "The bill applies to driving offences committed during the 12-month period that ends 5 months before your birthday. This period is the assessment period. The bill may also include driving offences committed during an earlier period that have now been recorded on your driving record."

On the one hand, it makes sense b/c otherwise if you didn't stick to the original violation date, the system would be prone to manipulation thru disputes. But on the other hand, realistically, it would be a lot of work to figure it out.

I should ask for it in writing...

So it's a tough decision for me if it works by guilty date...my assessment year is basically over end of 2007. If I accept the ticket now, then it will fall in 2007 and it's the only one I've got. If I dispute it and I'm found guilty (good chance of it if cop shows up as I was apparently nailed with laser), then it will fall in 2008, and if I get another ticket in 2008, I'm going to get hit with the $300 premium...

What would you do? In principle, I always have disputed all speeding tickets! It would pain me not to with this one! Especially as you never know, he might not show up and as autumn pointed out, both of the cops would need to show!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Lane Shark

Default It is "prone to manipulation", same w/ ICBC insurance surcharges ; - )

I'm almost certain it's by violation date, not offence date.

If you're worried about a 2nd violation date in '08, just fight the 2nd ticket also & it could put it into '09's date. But then you have to worry about '09, or just not get any more in '08. That way you'd only have 1.

Plus you can always ask for a continuance, which allows you to manipulate when the violations get recorded.

I usually fight all my tickets.
I've had bad luck w/ the officer showing, but many have gotten off w/ a no show.
Read - <i>"Fight That Ticket In British Columbia" by Janice Mucalov</i>, I've heard it's a very usefull book (yet to read, but finally withdrew it from the library).
And yes the system can be manipulated, so you can work it if you have multiple offenses &amp; want to avoid the ICBC surcharge.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice. I'm with you totally. What's this continuance thing? :-)

Sounds like a new thing to learn!

"Plus you can always ask for a continuance, which allows you to manipulate when the violations get recorded."

I've usually postponed the first court date they set. Is that what you mean?

Or do you go to court and ask for one?

I ordered the book by the way, Chapters sells used copies of it even though it's out of print!

I always fight my tix, it's been mostly a matter of principle about how enofrcement of speeding here in NA is a joke and more to do with a cash grab than enforcing people's safety. Very little thought goes into truly trying to stop dangerous speeders, who are the ones who do the most harm. They catch whoever's easiest most of the time, when no real danger was present for that offense.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Lane Shark

Default Yes, postpone the date.

What reasons have you used for postponement?

How much was it @ Chapters used? I've been wanting to get my own copy &amp; will be down in Van over Christmas.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So continuance isn't when you show up in court and ask for an extension?

You're allowed to postpone the court date once as long as you do it at least xx weeks before the set court date (can't recall right now). I've never done it once in court though.

The last time I did it must have been over 3 or 4 years ago, so things may have changed. I've usually said a business trip has come up during that period, sometimes the new date is just a couple of months later, sometimes even more than that.

I ordered the book online actually. It was less than $10, plus $8 shipping.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Lane Shark

Default Continuance = postponement. Just ask in advance, otherwise in court they'll

probably want to go through w/ precedings.

Quick Reply: Resident speeding ticket & laser experts in BC (or other provinces). Questions: