Tires in Calgary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires in Calgary?

Hi I recently bought a 2001 Audi A4 2.8 with 29,000 km on it. It's in beautiful shape and I really love this car. I've never had a car this nice in my life.

Anyways, it has the sport package so its lowered a bit and has the 17" Pirellis on it. Now that was great until about 2 days after I got it we had a huge snowfall. It is pretty bad in the snow with these tires and I think I'm going to have to break down and get some winter tires.

So what are my options? New tires and rims, just new tires, all season or winter? Where's the best place to look in Calgary? Thanks for any info you could give this rookie Audi owner.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Many tire joints around...

Whatever you do make sure you get full on winter tires.. whether you use your current wheels or buy new ones, its more of a monetary choice.. but it is way easier to have a complete seperate set. I usually deal with Kal tire on 42nd ave sw...

If you are looking fore a cheap second set of wheels, I have a stock set of 98 sport wheels I will let go for $350.. 16" and pinted gunmetal grey.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nokian winter tires are probably some of the best out there...

If you want full on winter, then get the Nokian RSi. If you don't mind sacrificing some ice traction for more dry road stability, then go with the Nokian WR.

I have the previous generations of the above 2 tires on each of quattros, I'd say the Hakka Q (replaced by the RSi) are quite a bit better on ice, but it can get a little squishy in the dry, but you can get used to that.

Kal-tire is the only authorized dealer for Nokian, but their prices are that bad at all.

For your car, I'd suggest getting some 16" or even 15" wheels, alloys or steelies, as tires in those sizes are much cheaper. Once you go to 45-series profile, prices jump up quite significantly.

I believe the any of the following sizes will work for your car:

205/60-15 (oe size)
195/65-15
205/55-16 (oe size)
225/45-17 (oe size)
205/50-17

HTH.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree Nokian are very good, however, Pirelli has just upped the ante

with their new Sottozero 210/240 series which happens to come in the right size for the Audi if you have 17 inch rims.

Pirelli have gone back to the assimetrico ttread pattern after trying the four rib design of the Snow sports. The 210 Assimetrico was the best winter tire I've ever used, until the new Sottozero.

Pro Tire, in the North East on Goddard Ave NE, is the wholesaler for Pirelli in Calgary so I'd try him. Top quality work with touchless mounting equipment.

Kal Tire will give you great service on the Nokian brand. With awd the WR will be very satisfactory.

BTW, it is no longer necessary or even desirable to go back to smaller rims and taller tires for winter. The newest low profile winter tires are just so good they actually work better in the stock sizes.

I'm running 225/45 x 17 all around with great results, though sadly, not on an S4 at the moment.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Going smaller size can still save you quite a bit of money,..

plus the taller sidewall will give you a cushier ride going over hard packed ice and snow and broken pavement.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Nokian winter tires are probably some of the best out there...

I was trying to decide whether to get some 17" winter tires for the existing rims or go with some steelies. I know that for sure I want to keep my existing rims and tires for summer. I think I'll go with Nokian. I wonder about getting winter tires vs the WRs with Calgary being either dry or icy during the winter. I'll give Kal Tire a call tomorrow at work. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Many tire joints around...

I was thinking of going with 16" for winter tires. I'm very interested in your 98 sport wheels - I'm not sure what they look like. I dont' have any idea of how much a set of wheels would cost since this is the first car I've had that has cost me over $4000. How do I contact you?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Where did you read about this ?

"BTW, it is no longer necessary or even desirable to go back to smaller rims and taller tires for winter. The newest low profile winter tires are just so good they actually work better in the stock sizes."

Does it apply to both FWD and AWD ?...lol
Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Click on my post,

then my user name (Audone) will be highlighted in blue on the left side.. click that and my email address will show.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agree with Nokian WR

Have them on my S4: very quiet on dry pavement (which is what we've had most of the winter) and moderately okay in fresh snow. Buy 2nd set of rims - their cost = cost of alloy repair! You may also want to consider that funny French tire company... Monsieur Bib.... he's got some okay winter tires. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tires in Calgary?