What Engine - What Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Engine - What Car?

Hi all, I'm a noob to this forum and was wondering if I can call on your experience for advice. I would like to buy a used Audi A4 or A6 but I am not sure about the different engines and the inherent or common problems(if any). I like the sound of the 2.7t for the A6 or the 3.0 for the A4- are these o.k or is the 1.8T better for the A4 - I would like a good smooth engine and not one I have to strangle!

Your thoughts would be great
(looking for 2003 / 2004 ish)

An eager Audi owner wanabee
Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the major thing you need to decide on from A4 to A6 is vehicle size... What suits your needs
Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends if you want to mod the engine for more power or if you want stock. Do you prefer having a...

a turbo (or two) or naturally aspirated engines? Can you live with a 4 cyl engine or do you need the smoothness of a V6 or V8? How important is fuel economy to you? Do you want a sporty sedan (A4) or a boat on wheels (A6)?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: What Engine - What Car?

I am leaning towards the A4 3.0 V6 because this is probably a smooth and strong engine. But there are a lot of 1.8T's out there for sale and I am not sure if it is as refined. And no I don't want to mod the engine - Just would like one to keep going on and on with little problems

Thanks for the quick reply
(Is the A6 really a tank?)
Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well if you want as little problems as possible, stick to Japanese cars ;-)

Although I personally find that these cars are still worth driving even with the little problems that can occur sometimes.

An A4 3.0 is a very nice car especially when paired with a manual. If you absolutely need to have an auto, skip the 1.8T as it's pathetically slow with an auto gearbox. 1.8T with manual and some (or a lot) mods is lots of fun tho ;-)

A friend of mine got rid of his A4 1.8T in favour of an older A6 2.8. He said that it's a whale in comparison to the A4. The A6 is however noticeably larger than the A4.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:11 PM

I'm a manual man! So 3.0 Manual A4 you think
Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The A6 is markedly longer and wider than the A4. Depends how large you are and how many passengers.

A manual can be had in both the A6 2.7t and A4 3.0. But the manual is extremely rare in the A6 - approx 6% came that way including the allroad.

As with the B5 S4, the 2.7t engine in the A6 has huge scope for modding, and will probably be modded at this stage - especially with a stick. That means not only will there be the usual problems for this engine, but the problems of people modding and perhap not doing it as intelligently as you would like. It also puts wear on the rest of the driveline. But if you want to build a 400hp sleeper, it's a good starting point.

The 3.0 is fairly fuss free, with just a few know problem areas. I suggest you spend some time searching the B6 A4 forum with key words like "3.0 problems" etc. Because it cannot be so easily modded, it is less likely to have been molested. But on the other hand, you won't be able to do much to it either. So finding one that has been very well maintained with complete records should be your goal.

As an additional side note, it's much easier to hang the tail out on the A6, thanks to a longer wheelsbase and more weight over the rear axle. Once that mass overcomes the available traction, away she goes! In low traction conditions, you give it a bit of a Finnish flick, and you get a nice controllable slide. The A4 with the shorter wheelbase tends to respond a bit sharper and faster, with the rear more faithfully following the fronts in such conditions. But on the limit it can also snap into a slide a bit faster and perhaps a tiny bit less predictably.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Like I said 3.0 with a manual is very nice. STFA (Search The Forum Archives) the B6 A4 forum.

But I think the 1.8T is a bit more fun when modded a tiny bit ;-)
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks for your help
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

np ;-)

Quick Reply: What Engine - What Car?