Chicago Living Areas

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Living Areas

Ok, I'm back with more of an idea about what I'm looking for.

I've decided that due to the fact that I don't really want to deal with living in the City, or paying to live in the city, I'm gonna be out in the burbs somewhat.

Out of all of the areas recomended to me, I've ruled most of them out for one reason or another and am left with Glendale Heights and Lombard. Can anyone tell me anything about these areas, good/bad/other? They are pretty much between Carol Stream where I'll be working and the city, but it would be nice to be closer to the city.

It was recomended I look in Oak Park or Forrest Park, but I can't seem to find much there (from here, still in NY) that looks like it will work. Are there some other areas that I should look into west of the city?

How hard is it to go out downtown if I wanted to, living out in those areas?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone knows of anywhere good with an immediate opening, let me know. I plan on heading out monday and spending next week looking for a place and moving in.

~Walter
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying or renting??....

I'm in Glen Ellyn, Glendale Heights is next door. Lots of rental apartments- I lived in one when I first moved out here while looking for a house. Several just off North Ave as you head west from I-355
Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Oak Park

Welcome! just moved to Oak Park myself (from detroit). Beautiful, safe and friendly little town about 10 miles west of the city off I 290. Much nicer than surrounding neighborhoods imho. Definitely recommend this area, esp. if you have a family. Housing rather expensive here, though cheaper than the city.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Downers Grove - Close to the Train Station

There are alot of restaurants and stores in the Downers area around Butterfield Rd. The Metra train going from Downers to downtown makes a stop in Oak Park and/or River Forest where you can change to the city trains that will take you just about anywhere downtown. The same Metra train will take you to Naperville where there are alot of things to do.