Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

can we get a NT icon or something when there is no text beyond the subject line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts

There ya go, it appears there is a lot you can do! I get that NT may not be possible, but the pic and URL helps quite a bit.

Keep the upgrades comin!

Now how about defaulting to Thread Start Date for the threaded guys so it doesn't keep going to the thread with the latest post <BUMP>

Maybe kill some of that white space.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Menu position...

Possible to get that menu up there? Don't have to go all the way to the botton of every page and some of the sublevel pages don't have the menu at all.

No Pic icon on my post?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they know what we like and what we want, but it took them so long to give us crappy vb, and after almost every one left look what we can do, but still we can't do that. People still complain and here we go again after times goes by things can be done. That's what i hate is no, no we can't, but than they do it. [NT]icon is not about if can or cannot be done, its about click=$$$
Old 03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd that good luck [NT]
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaudi382
i need to have 1 character
They want us to click on posts. [NT] = no need to click. Clicks = money. No clicks = less money.

Forget the user. This place is about generating cash.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Cat Herder

right now [NT] is sort of signified by the absence of '...' at the end of the post title.

I don't think it works that well, and Kris has asked for better.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You tried? Query the LENGTH of pagetext in post table

It shouldn't be that hard, nor a heavy hit on the server. From what I can tell, you never store signatures in a post, so you just need to examine the length of the post, and insert a little "NT" image for ones where the length is zero.

ie:
SELECT ... ... ... ,LENGTH(x.pagetext) from ... ... ... PREFIX_post x WHERE blah blah blah

From what I can gather, your threaded view already has to cross reference the post table. At first I thought you could do it all in the thread table since it has all sort of other little join avoidance crap in there. But you're already cross referencing into the post table. Just grab the freakin' length of the post while you're in there, and write a line of php to include the image if necessary!

- Jason
Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Developer

Originally Posted by JasonR-NYC
It shouldn't be that hard, nor a heavy hit on the server. From what I can tell, you never store signatures in a post, so you just need to examine the length of the post, and insert a little "NT" image for ones where the length is zero.
It wasn't quite as simple as this, it just took some creative thinking. vB doesn't allow for empty post text and url's as well as images are stored in the post text, so this needed to be taken into account. I'll keep an eye out for any irregularities and/or special cases.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, there ya go. Looks like it was done before I even hit 'post'.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IB cliffom
It wasn't quite as simple as this, it just took some creative thinking. vB doesn't allow for empty post text and url's as well as images are stored in the post text, so this needed to be taken into account. I'll keep an eye out for any irregularities and/or special cases.
Fair enough. I'll admit my examination was pretty cursory. At worst, I figured you could always add a length value in the post table, or a content / no-content value, and query that when building the thread view. vBulletin can be expanded to do some pretty impressive things it was never 'designed' to do, so meeting the expectations of this community should be possible if that's a goal. I'm glad to see it seems to be...

Thanks,
Jason

Quick Reply: can we get a NT icon or something when there is no text beyond the subject line?