Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Introducing Infinite Scroll - Please Share Your Feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM
IB Staff

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As snagitseven mentioned, the Korean posts that hit the site over the weekend were due to a spam attack. A huge thanks to our mod team for nipping them in the bud as quickly as they did! We've since implemented a few extra anti-spam measures to prevent similar attacks in the future.

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
It still is jumpy for me. Quite often I'll click on the top thread just a it jumps down a notch and i end up clicking the header that reorders all the threads by thread title so I have to click 'last post' each time so they'll be sorted correctly.
Are you mostly experiencing this is threads that contain a lot of photos, or is it happening in text-only threads as well?

Originally Posted by aTOMic
First question: I switched back to the old display because the jumpiness is related to adblock and/or nosquint, both of which I NEED to use, so no biggie. However, WTF caused THIS?

Even when I try to display the page with 0% enlargement, I get this tiny box for reply (after clicking "New Reply", with several quotes selected, BTW) and after refreshing the page
LMAO, until I read the following...

Are you being quite serious? My Gawd, people actually enjoy this type stuff?

I may have some insight into this problem. When I searched google for "Audi A8L D3 (?)" (where the question mark is, e.g., parking brake, switch, code, whatever) from a computer where I am not logged in I get many results from AW. When I click the results, AW has a maroon pop-up that offers to solve all my problems if I sign in. IIRC, if I continue, it signs me up without asking for any car/location/bio info. I'll bet many newbs are signed in this way and never think to fill their profile.
THIS is one of my "pet peeves" (along with the words "pet peeves") and I will not answer anyone without the info in their profile - in their sig does not count. I politely suggest to them we could be more helpful if they would FILLINTHEIR****INGPROFILE and then proceed to welcome them.

I hope this helps, especially 'cause most of us seldom sign in from devices which we're not permanently logged in on.

-Tom
PS IB and Snagit, if I haven't thanked you before, thank you , without AW i would have nothing to do.
What browser are you using when you see that small post editor box?

Regarding the sign up process, we're looking into ways to encourage folks to share more information up front.

Originally Posted by atc98092
I noticed at least once (but I think there were others) that the next page that loaded was actually a different thread. They appeared related, but still two different threads. If it was already mentioned here, I apologize.
This is our related thread feature. For certain threads where there is relevant related content, the forum will automatically take you to that next thread once you scroll past the final page of your current thread.

Originally Posted by FLkiwi
The infinite scroll change is pure awesome in my opinion; I hated having to keep clicking next, and the page navigation buttons still allow you to easily jump ahead in chunks if you want to.

The only glitch I see is that sometimes the page "x of y" count is wrong; I might be at the bottom of the last post of the thread, as I am right now, and it still says "6 / 7", or some variation like "4 / 7" etc.
I'm glad to hear you like it! The pagination should automatically switch around when the first post of the new page reaches the header. If it's not doing that for you, please let me know what browser you're using and we'll take a look.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason

This is our related thread feature. For certain threads where there is relevant related content, the forum will automatically take you to that next thread once you scroll past the final page of your current thread.
As long is it's supposed to happen, no problem!

I too have noticed the small edit box, and I never noticed that before this morning. I'm using Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86. Company controls versions and downloads, so I can't try a different version here. Can at home though, and I'll see if Chrome does that on those.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As snagitseven mentioned, the Korean posts that hit the site over the weekend were due to a spam attack. A huge thanks to our mod team for nipping them in the bud as quickly as they did! We've since implemented a few extra anti-spam measures to prevent similar attacks in the future.

Are you mostly experiencing this is threads that contain a lot of photos, or is it happening in text-only threads as well?

What browser are you using when you see that small post editor box?

Regarding the sign up process, we're looking into ways to encourage folks to share more information up front.

I'm glad to hear you like it! The pagination should automatically switch around when the first post of the new page reaches the header. If it's not doing that for you, please let me know what browser you're using and we'll take a look.
It does it here for an example.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...iscussion-211/
Old 07-17-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed that when I try to attach a pic from my iPad it locks up. I didn't use to have a problem.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM
IB Staff

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by atc98092
As long is it's supposed to happen, no problem!

I too have noticed the small edit box, and I never noticed that before this morning. I'm using Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86. Company controls versions and downloads, so I can't try a different version here. Can at home though, and I'll see if Chrome does that on those.
Please keep me posted on how it looks on your home computer. I assume both are PCs? Or is one (or both) a Mac?

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
It does it here for an example.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...iscussion-211/

I just noticed that when I try to attach a pic from my iPad it locks up. I didn't use to have a problem.
Thanks. Are there any specific threads within that forum that you've seen it happen a lot on? If so, could you post a link here?

As for the iPad lock-up, are you trying to attach a photo via the "Insert Image" button in our post editor toolbar or through the "Manage Attachments" option further down the post editor page?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm not a fan of the new infinite scroll. It makes it harder to look for useful information and then track the conversation in a thread. The whole page becomes infinitely long and it's difficult to go back to certain points in the thread. The page numbers provide a break and organization to the content. Without it, it's the equivalent of reading from someone who doesn't understand how to use paragraphs.

My example: my Audiconnect plan is expiring on my 2017 Q5. I want the latest info on how people are connecting their cars so I flip over to the thread on alternatives to Audiconnect which is 8 pages long. Without the page numbers and a defined break in the thread to provide to provide, it's now just an endless and tiring process to keep scrolling scan through the thread and to revisit certain parts of the conversation to see what works.

Infinite scroll may work for someone who wants to read everything in sequence, but it's not useful for someone who's actually trying to scan and quickly find information which one of the reasons we have online forums.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Did the changes eliminate the horizontal scroll bar? In Firefox (Mac os 10.6.8) if the images are larger than a standard full page width, there used to be a horizontal bar to scroll to the right to view the full image or resulting expanded width text.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-20-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Please keep me posted on how it looks on your home computer. I assume both are PCs? Or is one (or both) a Mac?
PC, Windows 7 and Windows 10 (3 different computers). Google Chrome on all of them. While I'm typing this reply,

this is what it looks like. You can see the box barely covers a third of the screen to the left. And my screen capture doesn't go all the way across. I cut it off just past the submit buttons.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the infinite scroll, however, I do not like the related thread function. How can I turn that off?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to say the related thread function is rather hit or miss about how related it is... Mostly miss.