Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

To Matt & Jason re: security

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-1999, 11:30 AM
phred

Default To Matt & Jason re: security

I found this posted on the Bimmer forum (sorry) by a Michael Brock, and he makes some good points to keep in mind the next time you reconfigure the forum if you want to make it possible to trace posters:

"I own an information security firm and let me tell you there are plenty of free tools for would-be hackers out there to mess with you. If you have a cable modem or DSL connection your just giving them (24hr) high bandwidth access for hacking your machine(s). Many hackers just put in a wide range of IP addresses into these programs and automaticlly knock-off huge number of PCs that are susceptible to certain vulnerabilities.
Don't get me wrong - I've got a cable modem to, but with a firewall. Not everyone wants to dump the cash for a firewall - my only point is "it can happen - don't be surprised."

I understand that posting the IP address here on this board may offer a slim (very slim) amount of accountability, but considering the effort, time, and money it takes to track people who roam from one IP address to another, which are the majority (each time you dial in to your ISP you get another IP) - It's really hardly worth posting it hear for the sake of accountability. Besides, isn't this board for sharing ideas and information - not issues of legal concern where everyone needs to be held accountable for their views and comments...."
Old 09-28-1999, 04:57 PM
Jason Teller

Default Response

We (A4.Org staff) have access to IP addresses. The general public does not, and that won't change in the future.

Jason