Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

New user group for Advanced Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't understand why you're arguing this to this level. You telling our readers to go to another forum is advertising, which is not allowed, nor has it ever been. end of story.. It's never been a problem of this level before, that's why it's never come up.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gracias!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
RMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plz
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like access to edit my own posts. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
You telling our readers to go to another forum is advertising, which is not allowed, nor has it ever been. end of story..
Ok, so I feel the need to chime in here because this is the sort of thing I've been doing in my day job for the past 12 years...

I don't know what all gets deleted, so I can't really tell what's going on. I know another forum spun off, that it appears links to that forum get removed, and that reasoning for the removal of those links has been provided.

For example: Spamming or commercial solicitation

It's important to note that if someone asks what the link is to the other forum, and someone responds with a link, it is neither spamming nor commercial solicitation. If someone is just posting new threads that read "go here..." that would obviously violate the rule.

Not all instances of providing a link to the other forum would be in violation of the rules. Obviously the admins don't want a big chunk of the community leaving, but unrealistically broadening the definition of the rules to combat this shows bad faith - and that will drive even more users away.

On a more general note, all of the resulting conflict is par for the course. Making big changes to any UI always results in this. I am part of another community that once had 1.6M users. They made a switch, though not as drastic as the one here at AW, and they lost half their user base. They never came back. New users came though, and now I think the user base may be back up to around 1M.

Different UI's attract different types of people. I was not a fan of KWAF. I've developed community software for Fortune 500 companies, as well as have a ton of experience with the top boxed forums out there, including vB.

Going from KWAF to vB is about as drastic as it gets. vB has no true threaded mode. It, IIRC, has no option to disable float-to-top. The search is notably the worst search function of any major forum solution. But even if had those things, such a drastic change should have been anticipated. Maybe it was.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why am I having to ask for this? It should be automatic for those who remain and post and you know are not here to sabotage.

I would like it regardless.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like to ask for the edit function, please.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Please promote me when you have a chance...thanks Kris....
Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Being able to edit posts won't change the searching capabilities. You'll want to use advanced search and specify a date range. The search is limited to returning 500 posts per search.
Ok, can I get the edit capabilities...
R.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM

I would like to be promoted to the "Advanced Users" click also.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM

For obvious reasons

Quick Reply: New user group for Advanced Users