Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Rampant commercial cross-posting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rampant commercial cross-posting

I'm new to the Audi world and to this forum, so I apologize in advance if it's out-of-line. I recognize that commercial sponsorship keeps these sites afloat, and the targeted posts by retailers who serve the Audi community are much better than random, unrelated ads that you may see on other forums. Still, the cross-posting of identical content to every possible forum seems a bit much, especially if users choose to search for all new posts rather than focusing on a specific forum. Here's an example of one of the "new posts" screens right now:

I understand the desire to hit all possible markets, but perhaps one post in the "Vendor Showroom" would be enough? It's also included in the list above. As it is, it leads to a heck of a lot of clutter.

Like I said, I don't mean to offend or pass judgement on how a free forum supports itself, but this sort of cross-posting (which would be very much frowned on in other forums) makes it difficult to find the user-generated content.

Rob
Old 04-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll review how my guys are blasting the forums and come up with a cleaner way to get the promotions out to yall. Sorry about that.

-James
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Really appreciate that, James. I did start browsing the forums specific to my car, and maybe that's what most readers here are doing. If so, I totally understand the strategy. After a while, I found that I was missing lots of good info from other sections, so I started to browse all new posts and ran into this. It's not just you guys - lots of the commercial posters do the same thing here, and maybe we can come up with a strategy that's better for everyone.

Rob
Old 02-06-2023, 11:18 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I'm new to the Audi world and to this forum, so I apologize in advance if it's out-of-line. I recognize that commercial sponsorship keeps these sites afloat, and the targeted posts by retailers who serve the Audi community are much better than random, unrelated ads that you may see on other forums. Still, the cross-posting of identical content to every possible forum seems a bit much, especially if users choose to search for all new posts rather than focusing on a specific forum. Here's an example of one of the "new posts" screens right now:

<screencap of board spamming>

I understand the desire to hit all possible markets, but perhaps one post in the "Vendor Showroom" would be enough? It's also included in the list above. As it is, it leads to a heck of a lot of clutter. Like I said, I don't mean to offend or pass judgement on how a free forum supports itself, but this sort of cross-posting (which would be very much frowned on in other forums) makes it difficult to find the user-generated content. Rob
I couldn't have said it better...

...and this goes on and on, for 46 forums.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:38 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

...and it never ends...