How would I go about getting wheels made ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would I go about getting wheels made ?

are there companies that will make your wheel design, or that you could send a picture of an existing wheel design and they could make one that would fit my car?

The reason Im asking is that there are lots of good looking wheels that arent made in our cars' fitments. Its a damn shame and if the cost isnt too crazy (anyone know how much this kind of stuff costs btw?) Id like to do it

Specifically Im looking at kinesis f110. there are teh hot.

As far as a new wheel goes, I thought they had to be tested. I see peolpe like boyd coddington and others on tv (granted its tv) just cutting wheels without any kind of SAE testing. IS that testing necessary to do for the company or what?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Paging Liam, Liam to the front desk.....

Working with machine shops I can tell you having custom wheels machined would be MAJOR coin. When we do prototype aluminum tools, the materials alone cost several grand. And that's for one mold....times that by four = ouch.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Default I had the same problem with my Jetta. I wanted Breyton Imagines, but they only came in BMW fitment.

After some research I found a company that carried the same exact wheel in my fitment- but it said Maxxim instead of Breyton. Most of the wheel companies use the same manufacturers and only license the style/fitment. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but you may be able to find the wheel you want under a different label.

Maxxim is imported by Konig, so they are easy to order at Discount Tire. The Breytons were ~$300/each and the identical Maxxim Wonder was ~$115/each with shipping.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 AM

Default well what all is involved with that?

are you paying mostly for the metal, or for the machinists time or what?

and what do you mean mold? im not very knowledgeable on the subject.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Someone called???

You can email me...It's not easy and takes time and a big chunk of coin.

The hardest part has to be the fact that most Audi owners are cheap asses.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah, the F110 are one pieces.

Like what Tom said. You would have to get a existing wheel, have someone digitize it and then modify the offset and bolt pattern. Then have a CNC shop cut the wheels.

It won't be cheap, but there are plenty of places that do it. Just search the Internets for custom designed wheels and you will get some hits.

That said if you are willing to spend that much money, Kinesis should be willing to do. I know they do custom offsets and bolts on their three pieces.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: well what all is involved with that?

if you're willing to part from design a bit, there is a company in Daytona called CCW, I'm sure you've heard of them. They have some nice designs, and they are fantastic wheels. They will give you whatever diameter, offset, and bolt spacing you request in any one of their designs.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Default An overview

As a plastic housewares company, 99% of our product requires an injection mold. We make production molds from P20 steel and prototype molds from eiher 6061 or 7000 series aluminum. The P20 tool can produce millions of parts before the mold degrades while a prototype tool can only produce 150,000 - 200,000. The advantage of the prototype tool is it can be machined much faster. When we have molds made, we are paying for machining as well as material. A typical 16"x16"x12" single cavity mold machined from 6061 might cost as much as $50,000 while that same mold machined from P20 might cost 3x that. I couldn't tell you what a wheel would cost to machine, but I'd bet its very expensive.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We use the same blanks as the F110, so it would be extremely easy for us to build it...

Starting a wheel line can be relatively inexpensive or the complete opposite.

With a 20 set minimum order I could have them out in 90 - 120 days. Design and engineering would run about $5k but there would be no addtional tooling costs (generally run $80k - $150k)
Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM

Default how much does a blank cost?

and what is it a blank of?

and are there design copywrights to be concerned with, Like how much of the design you have to change for it to be considered a different design?

also whats involved with the design and engineering part of this process? and how easy would it to make the wheel in different fitments (and would you have to test each different fitment?).

sorry for all the newb questions

Im VERY interested in seeing this wheel make the light of day for the s4.

Quick Reply: How would I go about getting wheels made ?