I can officially say...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can officially say...

I took out an outside gate cone (you're probably thinking..."big whoop, an Audi understeers...whatever")....with the *BACK* of the car...lol I really hope there's photo evidence of it. On-lookers said it was as if I kicked the cone...hah

*Technically* you could call it a powerslide...as I did have plenty 'o throttle applied at the time while in this slide.

I'm officially calling out that imaginary person who said you cannot dial out the classic Audi understeer. He's full of crap...lol
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"i'm out of the closet"
Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 AM

Default *shakes head in disappointment*

I'm still waiting for some of the "track junkies" of the club to try their hand at our "parking lot" driving.

I'll put money on the fact that you'll learn a thing or two if you're willing to get out of your comfort zone with the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm sure we would learn, same goes for you coming over to DE's.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM

that's not new news.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM

He's still made about the 'sand in the vagina' comment
Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Default Here's my explanation of why a DE doesn't sound appealing enough to justify the $$$

I've been taught through 2 years of decent competition (and national-level instruction) with other cars to really reach and dig deep to extract all of the speed you can out of the car. I almost missed it for a bit, because for the last 3 or 4 events, I didn't have any competition in my class. A friend of mine who had been running a GTi on street tires for a while spent some $$ and got some R-Compounds. I can tell you, I got comfortable. He laid down some decent times and actually ended up quicker by 1/10th after 3 runs. I bucked up, got out there for my last run (old tires and all) and told myself, "alright dude, it's time to go to work". I ended up chopping off 7/10ths from my previous run which was (what I thought) a decent showing considering 2 of my V710's didn't have much groove left in them. *THAT* is what Auto-X has to offer than DE's don't.

You know you're reaching for time when you're going *DEEP* into a corner that's "only" going from high 2nd gear to mid-1st gear..and your passenger (who's never been in a car on R-Compounds) is squirming like he's gotta pee (or worse). That's priceless.

[/storytime]

I honestly (and humbly) think that if one of you folks were to come out and do a few ride-alongs with me...you'd be pretty surprised at some of the things the car is doing when you're actually *at* 10/10ths.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I fully understand your view, I have spent many a sessions running with Oliver at Gulf Coast events.

But, even he, who has competed for about 10 years, finds alot of rewards doing DE's. My only dig is the fact you have not done a DE, so you wont truly know until you can compare the experience side by side. Truthfully, you drive me crazy about this, because if you would give DE's an try, I KNOW you would master and dominate in no time. Then, free or cheap instructor status!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 AM

Default Meh, I'd much rather be staring Sebring turn 17 in the face doing 100+mph

It's all about the pucker factor and for me, autocross doesn't have it (and yes I have autocrossed before, Whitehouse Field up in Jacksonville).
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

A bit of a newb question, but DE = ?

Quick Reply: I can officially say...