HBL, and Matt Frick re-visted.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HBL, and Matt Frick re-visted.

What happened?

I moved to NoVa in September, from Indianapolis. I was renting a room in Reston, prior to my wife coming out. I had taken a job as Eastern Regional Manager for a company that makes onboard video and data systems for motorsports, production cars and karting. I was recently promoted to Director of Motorsports Sales.

My home, my tools, mail and possessions were all in Indianapolis. My wife routinely scanned letters, bills, etc. and emailed them to me. I had my car, a suitcase, my mt. bike and golf clubs. My wife would move out later, in December 04, when we took occupancy of our house in Marshall.

She emailed me the JE control arm recall notice. There was no reference to ANY VIN#'s on this recall. I asked Rob, who to call, and despite warnings from others about HBL in Audiworld, he recommended that I call Matt B. I called Matt B, and set an appointment. Matt B was extremely nice, btw.

JE control arm recall history.

VIN#'s are used to identify vehicles, and any changes to most all the parts that go into making up the car. There are some parts, however, that are NOT tracked by VIN#. The lower control arm was made to identical specs by three manufactures. They could be used without VIN# tracking. (There later was a design change that was tracked by VIN#, but again was supplied by three mfgrs.) Due to an issue with the rubber covers on one particular manufacturers control arms, the cars from the earlier design spec were to have the boots checked for cracksā€¯ and if found, and if the car had received scheduled maintenanceā€¯ the control arms were to be replaced.

I drove from Marshall, along 66, to my appointment with HBL, hitting the usual heavy traffic. I arrived, on time, and proceeded to the counter, and my first ever meeting with Matt Frick.

He did not find any record of ANY recall having to do with the control arms. He indicated that he checked two database systems and could not find any recall. I presented the letter, and he said this is a scanned copy and I said, yes, it is. I explained my current living situation. My car STILL HAD INDIANA PLATES!

After walking away, and talking with someone, he came back and said they would perform the recall work. He took my keys, and gave tem to a young man who drove my car away. As I indicated I was going to wait for the repairs (if they were necessary), I walked down the street to the Starbucks for a coffee and to read the paper. I was away from HBL for about an hour. It was not a particularly long walk, but it was very cold that morning.

I returned to HBL, and checked out the cars in the lot, despite the cold and walked into the service area, and to their waiting room. I got another coffee, and opened up my computer to start working on some reports. I also called our CEO, to bring up to speed on some work items.

I believe I was there for about, a half an hour to forty-five minutes. Matt Frick came in, and walked up to me and said we cant't do the work because there is not VIN# associated with the letter. I asked why he told me he would do the work, just over an hour ago, and he just repeated his line. I then asked him to call AoA, and he said, I can't call AoA. I was stunned that he would not even call to check on this, so I asked for AoA's number, and called them myself. He was kind enough to give me the phone number.

I called AoA, and was presented with the information about the recall notice I listed above. The representative asked were I was, and when I mentioned HBL, she laughed, and said We have had a lot of issues with them, and the advisor you are dealing with. She apologized for the inconvenience, and asked where I lived. She gave me the number to another dealer, and asked that I call them in about a half hour, as she wanted to contact them first to give them a heads up. AoA was great to me. I took my car there the following week, and the car was checked, and the control arms were replaced. They were very kind to me, and apologized further, indicating that they get a lot of work from HBL customers.

I was still in shock, having wasted my morning. I called a friend who happens to be a lawyer from Ohio (he worked on the Team Green 500 protest, the CART bankruptcy, and was on OSU's team against Clarrett). He said, that as this was a safety issue, to get the adviser to sign that work was not performed on the letter. He wanted me to do this, ā€Æejust in caseā€¯ something happened on the way to other dealer.

I went to Mr. Frick and had him sign under that statement.

Afterwards, two things happened. Matt came online here on AudiWorld, and denied that he had said he offered to do the recall service. Why, would I have walked away IF he had said he would not perform the work on my car? He then, came in under ANOTHER ALIAS, and said the work was not performed because my car had a lowered suspension. While the Alias (AUDIGENIOUS) denied being AMCBIMMER, the entire thread was mysteriously deleted. I still have most of it saved. And, I know the IP address for the twoā€¦.were the same! So, either Frick logged on as an alias, or had someone else log onto his computer (which would be worse for HBL, as the alias had a FU attitude). No one at the dealership mentioned this at all.

I have since called Matt Frick, and left him a message. I also emailed him. To date, I have to receive a single reply.

<swearing on a bible>

I'm sure there are good people there. I've heard nothing but praise from those who have dealt with Matt B.

But, I also sent a letter to HBL, stating what happend, and no one called. The same letter was sent to AoA, and they called, to apologize yet again.

I'm sure some wil get good serive, but I have to point out, why risk it. The negative comments far outweigh the good.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Elder Member

what is this "ā€¼sup>TMs " all over your post?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are you dragging this out again?

It's been months and we've all heard this story already. So they wasted a couple hours of your time, probably due to lack of experience with dealing with out-of-state recalls. Big deal. No damage was done to you or your car, consider yourself lucky. Audi of Alexandria did more damage to my car then good. Please move on.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Becuase, you should know what type of people you are dealing with.

If you are comfortable dealing with them, knock your socks off.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Please delete this post...you can talk to AoA again...not here.

I'm sorry, but this is a repost...100x.

We know how you feel about this, but let's move on and not drag this forum down.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to jack your thread, but are you in on Sunday? :o)

Again, I feel really bad for even steering you towards that debacle. Trust me, Buckley has done me right every time I've been there. He recently VAG'ed the windows/locks on the house.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, not sure why the happend. I took out the quote marks.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree with Tomasz...why?

Look, you had a bad experience, I understand that. You take any opportunity you can to bash HBL and Matt Frick. You have made your point, we know your stand, you dislike HBL and more specifically, you dislike Matt Frick. Why the need to tell this story again and bring up more bad press about the dealer? I don't understand what prompted this.

Life is too short to continue to hold such a grudge against a person or a company. Please, for your own well being and peace of mind, move on from this. You do not have to return to HBL, and you never have to speak to Matt Frick again if you so choose.

But please, I implore you, drop the HBL/Frick bashing. Nobody disputes that you had a bad experience and you have every right to feel slighted and angry. But eventually, we all must move on from our anger and channel our emotions into more productive things.

Please don't take this post as one of bashing or reprimand. It is an appeal to you to move on, that's all.

-Jim
Old 05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No worries at all Rob. You'v helped me out more than you know!

John's place, golf...you are still the man!

Certainly no reason for you to have to apologize!

just let me know what time Sunday, and I'll get there about an hour prior.

See you then!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is the first time the complete saga has been posted.

And while bits of this were part of the long removed post, it was never presented in full.

This was typed up today, w/o any cut and paste from any other post about the matter.

People should know who they are dealing with over there. Just as we contiinue to hear how great Matt B is, you can hear how bad Matt F is....

Then people can make their own choice.<ul><li><a href="http://1.8t.org/dealers/?m=v&amp;d=31">http://1.8t.org/dealers/?m=v&amp;d=31</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: HBL, and Matt Frick re-visted.